Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sky Connect Customer Experiance

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Customer Experiance within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello people, Many of you are all too familiar with the pitfalls of Sky's "Connect" packages as there are many ...

StarSyth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Sky Connect Customer Experiance

Hello people,
      Many of you are all too familiar with the pitfalls of Sky's "Connect" packages as there are many posts stating an array of similar issues.

My experience with sky started in July after having internet issues with my previous ISP TitanADSL (they had recently moved to a diffrent provider leaving their current customer base stranded with ENTA, the result was an abomination, the lack of care and the "your lying, your the one to blame, here is your MAC code go away" attitude left me with a sour taste in my mouth)

My issue with them was that I randomly lost internet, it stays connected but the speed which I received was 0.3kbps enough basically for ping requests. Eventually I move to sky because I missed the TV and I wanted to deal with a professional company again.

My issue however followed me to sky, sometimes I will have a full on near 8mb connection and alls fine, randomly (inside peak hours or not) I will drop to near nothing for speed. This can last minutes, hours but most likely DAYS without internet.

Sky has been in contact with bt and over the past 3 months have sent 3 engineers to my household, each time all tests on my line have come back 100% ok. The last 2 had engineers check the exchange I'm linked to and If I remember rightly their was talk of an overheating exchange card but no further action taken, the second time it occured to the engineer that the card was set to DATA STEAM and not IP STREAM. That was changed and believed to be my issue... It wasn't. At one point BT blamed themselves for the issue claiming the setup of the exchange or my line was causing problems, at the same time Sky was blaming possible faulty "packet shaping" descibing it as a floodgate on the data being sent causing data to be delayed for long periods of time. Essentially blocking data, I went as far as saying it was like ports where being blocked almost, Its odd because some programs like Teamspeak 2 (VOIP program) EvE Online (online game) work and certain websites including eve-online.com yet google and basically 99.9% of others would sit at a white screen for long periods of time without loading or timing out.

Now sky have pretty much said, "we cant fix your issue, your free from your 12 month contract on broadband if you wish to try an alternative".

Here is my current speed. Dont laugh thats actually an improvement on most bad days, the worst of which I caught with cache'ed version of the bt speed tester showing a 0kbps throughput, which was apparently "a bug on the site" according to bt despite there being at least 4 results from my line taking 20minutes to actually finish (must prove there IS a problem, surely?) and this:

Jitter on the line? packet loss sometimes came back with 1% now and then but on average the jitter is always horrible.

So this leaves me with a few questions:

Is there any hope for me staying with Sky? if not who do you suggest I turn to?
      here is my exchange details: SamKnows Broadband - Availability - Freshwater (SDFRSHW) Exchange

Thankyou for taking the time to read and respond to my post. I tend to miss explanation and details when posting, I'm more of a VOIP gasbag, if further information is required or my story needs clearing up in areas let me know :P

2. Advertisement
      Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Customer Experiance

I have been having similar problems with Sky Connect since late June early July - evening speeds down to dial up connection levels whereas daytime up to 7 meg. Sky have tried to tell me all sorts of guff (technical term) but the bottom line being, which they have finally admitted is that it is pure out and out traffic shaping. They have been promising me "jam tomorrow" for months now in emails containing the most appalling grammar. They have now basically washed their hands of the issue and more or less said traffic shaping is a fact of life for all Sky Connect customers so get used to it or move on.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

StarSyth
      Hi if you are going to do speed tests then use the Bt speed tester for all the information click on Bt Updated Speed Tester then follow the instructions. This test is what Sky will ask you to do.

Speedtest.net is no good have a look at the amount of threads that have said so
      over and over. If you want to use a quick speed test try the one on this the Skyuser site Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

On the face of it you have a fault on your line or at the exchange which caused problems with your previous ISP and has now carried over to Sky. To me this means no matter what ISP you use who rebadges BT ADSLMax, you will have the same problem.

My advice is to go to TalkTalk, as they use their own equipment in the exchange, if you fault was exchanged based it will disappear. Unfortunately, if the fault is on the line, it will move with you. The only advantage then would be that you would have another ISP to chase up the fault, hopefully with more success.

TalkTalk had/have a bad name with some, but my neighbour uses them with no complaints at all. He has not lost his connection or phone once in over 3 years.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

skyconnectsufferer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: holland on sea
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet pro
      Thanks

hello i cant awnser on the technical stuff although on a basic level it obviously is an issue that bt need to sort out.

is there noise on the phone line? i.e. crackling? someone correct me if i got wrong number but if u ring 17070 on your phone line and choose option 2 u can do a noise test on the line.if there isnoise then the advice in other threads is to ring bt and report a phone line fault but dont mention broadband in any way as they will ignore you.

one thing i can give some good input on is once the fault has been sorted on your line then i would highly recommend IDnet broadband,i too had connect and it was an atrocious connection at peak times,shame really as at my old address i had the mid package and i couldnt fault it for 5 pounds a month.

back to IDnet tho they are truly awesome i have been with them just over a week but everything is top notch,email response in minutes,phone calls picked up in seconds not hours like sky sometimes and the most important thing is the connection speed which is amazing,no traffic shaping or throttling of any sort,just max speed 24/7,i done bt speedtest on saturday at 7:30pm and got 6.4meg which was great cos on connect this was typically the worst time for me,the only downside is the price of idnet service but u pay for what u get which is 5* service.

StarSyth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Thanks

I used speedtest because its ease of copying information in picture format for forum use (simple click), I've been running bt speed tests for months.

There is no static on the line, all 3 engineers claimed it was a ok. I get a speed drop like anyone else during peak hours, even to dial-up speeds but my issue is something different, I still believe its something wrong with the exchange.

Moving to talk talk will a) find out if its the exchange or if its the phone line and b) allow me to finally get ADSL2 and have a 24mb broadband package away from the pisspoor service of BT.

I dislike the current situation that BT has inflicted onto Britain, I think their denial of service to alternative service providers is most likely deliberate, they are even advertising it that way "6 o'clock, the whole worlds online!" "hows business? slow" advert is clearly trying to represent the current issues with BT's OWN service it provides and tries to separate BT's internet claiming it to be better, ever since they where bought by an external company they have gone further and further down hill.

One final point I would like to add, Sky isn't a bad service, its BT. If anyone is unfortunate enough to be bundled with BT in their exchange check your exchange to see what alternative LLU are on offer, that way your not just repackaging BT's failing service like I apparently did (without sky telling me so).

Thanks

one thing to point out is are you sure your exchange is llu enabled? only asking as sky connect is a non llu product used for people who cant get llu service on their exchange,unless sky put u on connect for the time being as an alternative as the exchange was full? this happened to me at my old address, i applied for mid package when i first joined them but went to connect for 5 pounds a month until i was moved over automatically to mid when there was space in exchange.

secondly i dont know if talk talk's service is a yearly subscription or monthly but idnet do offer a llu adsl2+ service for upto 24meg speed for 17.61 on a monthly basis so u not tied down to them.thats only 61p more than u paying now

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The only LLU provider on the exchange, SamKnows Broadband - Availability - Freshwater (SDFRSHW) Exchange is TalkTalk. No doubt Idnet are a very good provider but in this case they would only be able to supply a re-badged BT service, the same as Sky. I could be wrong but I think Idnet only offer the high speed connection on exchanges where BT have enabled 21CN WHC. Info in this thread - New Launch: Up-to-24 Mbps ADSL2+ Broadband :: IDNet :: think broadband

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

yeah isitme is right you wont be able to get 24meg adsl2+ broadband at your location as it is currently not 21CN enabled as of yet so you are stuck on 8meg by looks of it for now until bt activate 21CN on 31st march 2011 i dont know what talk talk is like but i looked on the website and noticed that you can trial the product for 30 days so i guess you can give it a try if not give IDnet a go you wont be dissapointed,watever your line is capable of they will give to you,24/7,simple as.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Thanks

I'm in an even worse position as with only 860 connections on our exchange no one is ever going to LLU it, as for ADSL2 well the last information we could get from BT was not before 2015. Sky Connect Customer Experiance-bt-speedtester.jpg

See attachment - how's that for a cracking evening Sky Connect throttled connection

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast