Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sky Connect Customer Experiance

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Customer Experiance within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Update on my situation. Leaving sky for line rental and broadband was... interesting. I have to say that sky is ...

StarSyth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Customer Experiance

Update on my situation. Leaving sky for line rental and broadband was... interesting. I have to say that sky is all over the place when it comes to its departments, basically half where nice and happy, helpful and kind. The other half where inconsiderate, abusive and unpleasant. The lack of communication between the departments is scary, as for cancellations what a joke. Told me everything that the other represenatives was a lie and that they where not even able to cancel my sub even though its sky's connect team that basically told me to move service. They told me to send a letter, TalkTalk said "let us deal with them". 2nd of Dec I switched to TalkTalk without a hitch, past 2 days have been an awsome improvement due to the LLU and adsl2+ (bt dont even have adsl2 at the same exchange)

I'm so far very happy with the switch, I will update if anything else happens.

2. Advertisement
      Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

On the issue of Sky Connect - well this is the result of me trying to get my appalling traffic shaped evening speed issue resolved - see email below.

Thank you for your email. I am sorry that your speeds in the evening are not as good as they are outside of the time period of 5pm to midnight.
      I asked our technical team to speak to you to discuss the downloading that you do to see if there was any other reason why your speed would be slow during the peak time.
      I would be unable to lift the restrictions on the Connect package to allow your broadband speed to be increased between 5pm and midnight as this is part of our traffic management policy. I am sorry that this is not the response that you are looking for. I have checked to see if I could get you changed over to Sky Broadband Base, Everyday or Unlimited but this is not available in your exchange.
      I hope this helps with your enquiry.

err well no it doesn't help actually Sky!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

err well no it doesn't help actually Sky!
      The only thing that will help is getting your MAC and going to another provider. When you ask for your MAC do not mention cancelling, if they say anything about cancelling, tell that that you just want your MAC, you do not want to cancel. Make sure they clearly understand this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The only thing that will help is getting your MAC and going to another provider. When you ask for your MAC do not mention cancelling, if they say anything about cancelling, tell that that you just want your MAC, you do not want to cancel. Make sure they clearly understand this.
      Not sure why moving will help? The only provider at our exchange is BT and will likely always be the case. Therefore any other ISP is only going to be able to provide a badged up BT product with exactly the same issues isn't it? Can you elaborate as to why I should say I don't want to cancel?

Thanks

There are many ISPs who rebadge BT broadband and do not throttle the speed as much as Sky, Plusnet, ADSL24, IDnet, O2 access, just to mention a few. Many have moved from Connect to other providers and are now quite happy.

If you mention Cancel and MAC in the same breathe to Sky you are likely to have your connection cancelled and have no chance of getting a MAC. This has happened to quite a few leaving Sky for another ISP. If your connection is cancelled, you have to wait up to 2 weeks to have the tag removed from your line. It should not happen, but I can assure you it does.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

There are many ISPs who rebadge BT broadband and do not throttle the speed as much as Sky, Plusnet, ADSL24, IDnet, O2 access, just to mention a few. Many have moved from Connect to other providers and are now quite happy.

If you mention Cancel and MAC in the same breathe to Sky you are likely to have your connection cancelled and have no chance of getting a MAC. This has happened to quite a few leaving Sky for another ISP. If your connection is cancelled, you have to wait up to 2 weeks to have the tag removed from your line. It should not happen, but I can assure you it does.
      Thanks for that info - I'm still not 100% convinced about other ISP's though. I was with BT before Sky and apart from costs reasons my other main reason for moving from BT to Sky was "evening traffic shaping". If anything it was worse with BT than Sky and was costing me 26 per month for the privilege whereas it only costs me 5 with Sky. What really annoys me though is that we are not on a congested exchange, according to all available data it's flagged as GREEN. The other fly in the ointment is no date has been set for WBC ADSL2+ either.

Thanks

You are not going to get broadband any cheaper, if you are prepared to put up with the woeful speed. The full price of Connect is 17, so if you have it permanently for a fiver, you are doing OK. A member who has moved from Connect to another provider might post their experience.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

You are not going to get broadband any cheaper, if you are prepared to put up with the woeful speed. The full price of Connect is 17, so if you have it permanently for a fiver, you are doing OK. A member who has moved from Connect to another provider might post their experience.
      Yes it is a permanent fiver. However, I would consider moving if I was guaranteed a better evening speed and that's the rub, the consumer has no idea what the experience will be until one is experiencing it, by which time it's to late. Sky Connect was good even in the evening until early summer of this year when it suddenly went t-ts up following I believe BT adopted a new delivery system?

Thanks

Sky Connect was good even in the evening until early summer of this year when it suddenly went t-ts up following I believe BT adopted a new delivery system?
      Some of our members seem to have started experiencing the throttling in Oct, 08. Since then it has gradually spread out over the country. It is not due to anything BT have done, Sky will not pay for enough bandwidth, so are quite rightly restricted in the amount they can use by BT.

TomD

Useful Utilites

skyconnectsufferer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: holland on sea
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

I am a former connect user who can only get bt products too at my exchange. i moved from connect to IDnet which isitme mentioned and honestly mate they are awesome ,they dont throttle,traffic shape of any sort,they are so confident of their product they offer the service on a monthly basis so no hassle of being tied down for a year,if you dont like it then just cancel,but no need to when they give you max speed all day.

its amazing my max speed on my line is around 6.2-6.7 and i get 6.4meg on the bt speedtest at peak time!

plusnet are mentioned as being great too,but i can personally vouch for idnet, i wondered why i hadnt joined them sooner in the first place.

there is light at the end of the tunnel,just get your mac code like isitme said and migrate over to someone else.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast