Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed changes

This is a discussion on Speed changes within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, Don't know if this is a known issue but my BB speed keeps changing About 5 days ago, ...

Ross L is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Speed changes

Hi guys,

Don't know if this is a known issue but my BB speed keeps changing About 5 days ago, I posted on here and my router was showing that I got over 16mb BB (16380 to be precise). Yesterday I logged into my router and it showed 15995 and today I got home and couldn't get online on XBL (to play call of duty MW2) so logged into my router it is showing 14334. Any ideas on what is going on?

Cheers,

Ross

P.s the speedtest in my sig was added on the 3rd Nov. I tested it today and got this:

Confusing :S

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Speed changes

You may be on DLM training or your line is having problems causing it to resync.

With regards your speedtests, this just shows what utter crap speedtest.net is. There is no way on this earth that you would get these figures from any ADSL connection, never mind on Sky.

Post the stats from your router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Funnily enough when I last called sky support, they were running all their ideas on results from tests they were getting me to do via SpeedTest

Here are my stats:

Thanks

That actually looks a pretty good sync speed for your attenuation. It could be that you were syncing too high and it has now dropped back to nearer where it should be. You could try it in the Test socket just to make sure your internal wiring is not causing problems.

Try your speed on the Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester you should be getting around 12mbps.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'm always in the test socket as it was recommended to us by the Post Office (who supply our telephone).

This is the test results.

We have detected that your ISP is Sky. Your download speed is 11296Kbps. Your upload speed is 691Kbps.
      For the past few months, my download speed seems to of been played with by SKY. I was getting downloads of 517kb/s off of Digital River (Microsoft), Adobe, Sourceforge etc when I used to get near 2mb/s (this is on Wired and Wireless) and Rapidshare where I get a lot of UK/US TV, I am getting anywhere between 120-512kb/s when it used to be in the high 1.90mb/s no matter what the time or day when using orbit downloader. I know people on o2 and Virgin and they have no issues with any of these sites, it seems to only be me. I thought it may have been my router (as I have had 3 sky routers in a year do exactly the same thing before dying), so I went and brought a much better router and this hasn't fixed the issue this time.

Would this seem to be SKY capping my line?

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

Ross

Thanks

Sky are not capping your line. Your current noise margin is slightly under the default which shows you are getting as much as your line can take. Your actual download is a bit low, unless you have something else running. For an accurate speedtest you need to make sure that nothing else is running. One of the best ways to do this, is to start in Safe Mode with Networking and open one browser window to do the test. Try this and if there is a bit of a difference, something is gobbling your bandwidth.

Try your Test socket.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Currently in safe mode with my line in the test socket (the first results were from the test socket also). Here are my results:

We have detected that your ISP is Sky. Your download speed is 12280Kbps. Your upload speed is 696Kbps.
      Edit:- Just tested orbit in safe mode and tested a download from rapidshare and sourceforge. On each download was running at 1.59mb/s but as soon as I go back into Windows 7 normally, the download starts off that high and then drops right down within seconds.
      Last edited by Ross L; 09-11-09 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks

Try opening a Command Prompt, you will have to right click and choose 'run as Administrator', type netstat -b this will show you what is using your connection, make sure you recognise everything.

It could also be your AV which is causing the slowdown. Try disabling that and see what your speed is like. I would not wander around the internet too much with it disabled, you never know what you will pick up.

I think you may be realising that it is not Sky who is slowing you down.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for your help. I tried with Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 disabled and it all worked fine! I have left a message on their message boards and hopefully they will advise me on how to fix it. If they do I will post the fix here.

Thanks very much for your assistance, you've been a great help

Cheers,

Ross

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well I have an update. It seems that there is an issue between Orbit and Kaspersky (according to Kaspersky) but Kaspersky blame Orbit (though downloads via the browser were slow also, so it can't just be solely Orbit). After Kaspersky saying that numerous sites had viruses on them (here included...it seems to do it alot when there is a flash advert on the page) I got slightly annoyed with it and switched to Zone Alarms 30 day trial to see how I get on with that. So far it seems great!

Thanks again for your help, it is very much appreciated. Glad it is all resolved now