Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection has gone really bad.

This is a discussion on Connection has gone really bad. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I was on mid and had a stable, unspectacular connection. Now, ever since going up to 10meg, my connection has ...

dflour69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hastings
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Connection has gone really bad.

I was on mid and had a stable, unspectacular connection. Now, ever since going up to 10meg, my connection has been dreadful. Speed OK, but constant dropped connections : a few seconds, a minute or two and sometimes it's down for several hours. I've checked it with the master socket, I've changed the filter (which gave a couple of days of stability). Haven't tried ringing tech support and would rather not. Has anyone got any suggestions? FWIW I post below some recent stats.

System Up Time 37:46:43
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 612598 863121 0 342 9093 36:26:03
      LAN 10M/100M 200487 103030 0 1447 74 37:46:40
      WLAN 11M/54M 1132401 929814 0 8427 1305 37:46:33

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6514 kbps 512 kbps
      Line Attenuation 24.5 db 12.0 db
      Noise Margin 9.6 db 8.5 db

I've been online this morning and have had literally dozens of drop outs - mostly for a few seconds. I've been connected to a news server, online poker and the web. They are all affected. Tearing my hair out with frustration.

BTW. These stats are not from the master socket. Please don't ask lightly for master socket stats as I am disabled and it is very hard (though not impossible) to do. TIA.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Connection has gone really bad.

Well the master / test socket stats are the best pointer unfortunately. Is this a new set of stats from today? If not then they are no good for troubleshooting, also are you on wireless? If so it may just be that and nothing to do with the connection. May just need a channel change on the router.

Thanks

The stats were from this morning - shortly before I posted. Yes, I am on wireless. Will try changing channels and see what happens. All the problems have happened since my connection was upped to 10 megs.

If I can get a set of stats off the master socket, the I will post them.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

It may just be that someone went wireless recently and didn't check what channels were in use in your area. Before moving the router try the channel change but only if the router is easily accessible as you may need to drop the network cable back in to regain access if the channel change is no good.
      Post back with what channel you are on and we can take it from there.

Thanks

BTW. If I reset the router, it almost invariably results in being down for several hours. Also, how do you check what channels nearby connections are using? I've right clicked on the icon and viewed available wireless networks but it doesn't give this information.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You really need to get into the Test socket. Apart from anything else your speed should be the maximum available 10,000+kbps, you are a far way from that. Your line has been moved to ADSL2+, which with your attenuation it should support quite easily, but it is having difficulty running, hence the resync you are experiencing. On Unlimited you could get 16+Mb, should you subscribe to it.

If you are unable to do it yourself, see if you can get a friend in to help you. You are loosing a lot of speed and this is probably down to your internal wiring.

As for your wireless question, download and run Inssider from the link below. This will show all the local networks and the channels they are using.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.