Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

noob help please faceplate,router etc etc lol

This is a discussion on noob help please faceplate,router etc etc lol within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi everyone have been reading these forums last few days and very impressed with all the help you guys give ...

bigjonnyauk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: SKY HUB SR-102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

noob help please faceplate,router etc etc lol

hi everyone have been reading these forums last few days and very impressed with all the help you guys give out

so here i am hoping you can help me lol

i am on the sky connect package just so you all know

have recently moved and come from a virgin area with 20 meg to getting 1 meg with sky lol is a shock but i am a little confused on some things as i never have used sky or adsl before

i have a master socket in living room and the openreach guy who activated my line on behalf of sky fitted me with one of those nte box things

so i bought a filtered faceplate just in preperation after reading on here but to be honest i dont think i needed to bother as i aint sure how to fit it

i took off bottom part of box and have no wires there as i dont have any extension phones only my sky box going into a 2 way adapter with only phone

the only 2 wires i have are the ones that come from outside and fit into 2 brass screw plates on the back of the middle part of the box

do i need to put these into the filtered faceplate or just use the one micro filter i am using at min in telephone adapter

other thing is i was told can only get 1 meg and am just getting over 1.2 which is ok i suppose but when i go into my router settings it shows connection speed of nearly 8 meg

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7616 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 3 db 3 db
      Noise Margin 14 db 21 db

i had to reboot router severel times due to not connecting and also wife unplugged it twice in error doh

so will my 10 day training be affected and could i get more speed as the line attenuation and noise margins just dont look right

sorry its a long post but try to give as much info as poss

hope you can help thanks

2. Advertisement
      neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: noob help please faceplate,router etc etc lol

OK, first things first, as you know you are on the Connect package which will account for your poor download speed due to the throttling that Sky employ. You need to read the various threads about Connect.

Check SamKnows Broadband - Availability - Broadband Availability Checker to see if you have any LLU providers in your area. If you haven't there are still plenty of other less throttled ISPs out there such as Plusnet and ADSL24.

As far as your faceplate is concerned, there wasn't really a need for you to get one as you don't have any extension sockets, but now you've got it just plug it in as normal. Do not remove the incoming wires from the back plate, they are supposed to be there.

Exchange:
      Thanks

cheers

thing is i had to have the sky talk as they connected me for 25 quid and i could not afford bt price of 125 pound

only talk talk is here which is llu i rang them but they said can only have i take the telephone also which i cant cuz i am now in a contract with sky

would the faceplate actually work how does it filter line if no wires are connected to it lol sorry if i am being thick does it have something to do with the connection to the test socket

also why does my router stats seem to show wrong

Thanks

How long have you been activated with Sky, are you still within their cooling off period?

The only advantage you'll get with the faceplate is you'll no longer require a microfilter for the phone.

There's nothing wrong with your stats, although that is the lowest line attentuation figure I've ever seen, do you live inside the exchange or something

Exchange:
      Thanks

exchange is in the next street to me as i live in the town centre but for some reason they say as i am in a flat and the town then the cable length is very very long talk talks adsl2 package gives 7.8 meg as my neighbour has it

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You would get 20 Mb if Sky were available to you
      Your neighbour has probably not paid the extra for TT''s 'Turbo boost', which is like changing from Skys Mid(10Mb) to Max(20Mb) connections. Put your details in the boxes here and it will tell you what you could have got. - With TalkTalk you can build your own phone and broadband package

I may be in a minority, but I think on Connect you should reboot your router once a day for the first 10 days to resync it with the exchange. The BT system is more 'intelligent' than Sky's DLM and does not see this as a line fault. Do no overdo it, rebooting several times in quick succession can be seen as a line error. You are only a Ks short of the maximum sync speed for your product, but even when you reach it, you are still going to suffer the throttling experienced by Connect users.

I would have a serious look at TalkTalk if I were you.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Which is your exchange btw?

Exchange:
      Thanks

weymouth

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

TalkTalk is the only LLU provider available.
      SamKnows Broadband - Availability - Weymouth (STWEYMH) Exchange

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

ok now for some reason my speed has shot to 6.5 meg yet i was only told i would get 1meg cuz of line even on skys own checker

from 1mg d/l to 6.5 on connect is that possible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast