Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Router dropping out all the time

This is a discussion on Sky Router dropping out all the time within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, I have an old white sky router and its cutting the internet off mainly via wireless but has ...

Mr Kennedy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Router dropping out all the time

Hi guys,

I have an old white sky router and its cutting the internet off mainly via wireless but has done on the wired desktop too.

I have had Sky BB for over 2 years and this is the first time this has started happening.

I have however got my name and password off the router and been using an Linksys for about 20 months untill that stopped working and went back to sky one.

I was reading a little and some people have said to flash the router to get a different firmware on it so i done that too. Its now running V1.02.19

But since that seen posts that sky might know this and cut me off, so before i go riinging sky has anyone had this done to them?

I'm on the max package and since 3 weeks ago was getting 1.67mbs on newsgroups since i have had sky but now its 1.47 so there has been a drop in download speed.

My upload speed is awful at 0.78mbps and just done a speedtest on .net and my pc is 13.33 mbps and up of 0.78 and the laptop is 10.5mbps.

Anyone care to offer any advice

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Router dropping out all the time

Thanks, as i said they have been great but for it to drop for 1.67 to 1.45 on newsgroups (which heard gets the max out of your line) seems a little odd.

Would they know that i flashed the router though? and would they know what firmware is on it?

System Up Time 01:10:41
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 54760 73911 0 2208 20390 01:09:47
      LAN 10M/100M 2730 0 0 154 0 01:10:36
      WLAN 11M/54M 77267 58459 0 20613 2524 01:10:31

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 14334 kbps 921 kbps
      Line Attenuation 5.0 db 4.0 db
      Noise Margin 9.2 db 13.5 db

all this is direct from the master socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

My upload speed is awful at 0.78mbps and just done a speedtest on .net and my pc is 13.33 mbps and up of 0.78 and the laptop is 10.5mbps.
      If you think these speeds are awful, you really need to have a look around the forum, you will get an idea of what 'awful speeds' really are.

Post your stats, look at the router stats link in the quick links box on the left. If you post them from your normal position and from the Test socket, we will try to advise.

@freddiemac
      If you want advice, please start your own thread, you opinions are not those of the the majority of Sky users. If you are not happy and don't want advice take your own and GO ELSEWHERE.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Please now post your stats from the Test socket, you should have 20Mb quite easily.

Please also ignore the advice about Speedtest.net and its associates, they give crap results.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok these are the normal stats

System Up Time 01:48:21
      WAN PPPoA 57208 69789 0 1690 10852 01:46:52
      LAN 10M/100M 3633 2734 0 321 104 01:48:16
      WLAN 11M/54M 69829 58585 0 10675 1771 01:48:11

Line Attenuation 7.5 db 4.1 db
      Noise Margin 6.9 db 13.0 db

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

WAN PPPoA 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
      LAN 10M/100M 997 815 0 4827 2369 00:01:01
      WLAN 11M/54M 1210 797 0 4699 2834 00:00:56

Line Attenuation 5.0 db 3.9 db
      Noise Margin 9.6 db 13.0 db

Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Also last night could not connect to my wireless laptop, it was connected to the desktop but my laptop kept telling me there was a problem with the router, after many resets i gave up.

Today it works, it has been cutting out wireless over the last few weeks really badly, also cutting out on the desktop too.

Sorry but no-one has said what would sky say about my router being flashed and a new firmware on there.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Can you confirm that into the test socket you've tried a new filter and all you have set-up into the test socket is:

Test socket > MF > ADSL cable that sky supplied (short light grey rj11 - not an extension cable)

If so, then do you have any audible noise on your landline, such as crackling, popping, static etc.?

I'll let someone else chime in also - I gotta run to a bloody jurisprudence lecture... the joy!

Thanks

The stats in your Test socket show that there are issues with your internal wiring. Fitting and using a filtered face plate would solve these. When that is done you may be able to address the external line, which also seems to have issues. With your attenuation you should be able to sync at 24 Mb if it were available.

Filtered faceplate - XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate - ADSL Nation

Your wireless is a different problem. Download and run Inssider from the link below. This will show all the networks in your neighbourhood and the channels they are using. Change the channel in your router to one as far from those in use as possible. You should also change the Mode in your router Wireless settings to 'g only', this usually works better than the other settings.

Sky will not see your router only having different firmware, it will be seen as a non-Sky router. So far they have done nothing about those who are not using a Sky router and I don't think it would be in their best interests if they did so.

TomD

Useful Utilites