Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Uber slow download speed after line problem fixed

This is a discussion on Uber slow download speed after line problem fixed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys, I really hope someone can help me here...! For a couple of weeks we've experienced massive noise on ...

shergar1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01973
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Uber slow download speed after line problem fixed

Hi Guys, I really hope someone can help me here...!

For a couple of weeks we've experienced massive noise on the phone line, too much enough to make normal voice calls. Of course this hamstrung our broadband as well; slow and dropping frequently. We had a BT man out yesterday who found the problem and fixed at and now the line sounds perfect.

The internet is still a nightmare though. We used to have a download speed of 2.5mb according to speedtest.net however the same site now shows the upload at 0.4meg and the download at only 0.1meg. What's strange is that this speed is about the same as when the line was faulty...

I phoned Sky today, and the call was a complete joke and a half. I explained the problem but was ignored. The lady said that my computer probably had a virus or spyware. I explained we have three PCs in the house and even when tried one-at-a-time the problem is the same on all, however she then said to load the command prompt and type netstart. This was an invalid function which it is; I even checked she didn't mean net start (with a space). Her advice... wait for it... was, 'Well in that case Mr Jones you need to speak to your software vendor'.... I was a bit suprised, 'Microsoft?' I said... 'Yes Mr Jones' she said, 'and perhaps run anti-virus'. Brilliant help...

The stats of my router are:

Upstream: 448
      Downstream: 3424

Line attenuation: Down: 56db Up: 30.5db
      Noise Margin: Down: 6.2db Up: 16db

I have no idea what the above means though?

I'd be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction... Just to add, I have only one phone socket in the house and in an effort to fix this I have just plugged in a new microfilter and plugged the modem lead in - everything else is not inserted.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Uber slow download speed after line problem fixed

Quote Originally Posted by shergar1983 View Post
      The stats of my router are:

Upstream: 448
      Downstream: 3424

Line attenuation: Down: 56db Up: 30.5db
      Noise Margin: Down: 6.2db Up: 16db
      Are you positive you are not on the connect package as opposed to your profile saying mid/everyday? The stats are very connect-like with the 448 upload, so first thing would be to check this. Enter your post code in the following link and check whether 'LLU services' are available, more specifically sky/easynet listed. If not, then you're going to be on connect.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php

If this is the case, the problem with the connect package is that it is traffic shaped between peak hours (5pm-12am). Your stats aren't bad, so it would definitely point to the traffic management being the culprit for the slow throughput. However, if it does affect you throughout all day, then it'd be worth running the speed test below (do not trust speedtest.net, it is a joke a lot of the time). Run a test during peak times, as stated above, and another at non peak and post the results.

Test Result

Enter your telephone number first and then it will ask you for a username at one point - this is your MAC address (found on the bottom of the router on the sticker) with @skydsl at the end e.g. 004D8273E@skydsl, then click 'go'. Paste all the stats it gives you, including 'ip profile' and such.

It's well documented on this forum how shocking the connect package really is, so if you have any LLU services available in your exchange, then I'd advise to jump ship.

P.S. If you are indeed on the mid/everyday package, I do apologise for my long winded, possibly incoherent reply.

Thanks

thank you so much for your reply. For anyone reading this in the future the above process took four attempts, it kept giving me a test error asking me to check my phone number but it did work in the end. These are details it gave:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 26 Kbps
      For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
      Additional Information:
      Your DSL Connection Rate :3424 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

I have to confess I don't know why Sky internet package I'm on. I signed up for phone, TV and internet 5 months ago. The internet was the middle package (4mg I think). I don't really know what connect is...? Do the above stats mean anything to you? It reads as though my service has been capped to me???

Thanks

I have checked on the above link, we are on the Collingham Bridge exchange, there are no LLU services there, only ADSL...

Exchange:
      Thanks

thank you so much for your reply. For anyone reading this in the future the above process took four attempts, it kept giving me a test error asking me to check my phone number but it did work in the end. These are details it gave:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 26 Kbps
      For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
      Additional Information:
      Your DSL Connection Rate :3424 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

I have to confess I don't know why Sky internet package I'm on. I signed up for phone, TV and internet 5 months ago. The internet was the middle package (4mg I think). I don't really know what connect is...? Do the above stats mean anything to you? It reads as though my service has been capped to me???
      Correct-a-mundo. You're on the connect package indeed. Looks like your IP profile (basically limits the amount your data rate can achieve i.e your throughput speed) is stuck. I'd guess the reason for this is the recent line problem killed your sync speed and thus BT's DLM system (RAMBo) seen the fault and capped your profile. Now that the line problem has been resolved, I'd give it a day or two more at max as the line should go back to normal (test this over the next day or two by checking your IP profile shoots up).

Failing that and the IP profile stays the same, then give sky a call, get through to sky's 'customer solutions team' and get it passed over to BTWholesale to get it sorted. The reason for having to get BTW involved is the connect package, even though it is branded as sky, is essentially a BT product called 'adslmax' - so it has to go to them to get resolved if the IP profile still remains stuck at 135kbps.

P.S. If you want to read up a bit more on the connect package, then have a look at the link below matey:

(Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

It ain't pretty, though.

Thanks

Well I've learned several things during this exchange so thanks for taking the time. I wish the conversation could've gone like that when I phoned Sky today. I will wait a couple of days and see what happens. I will post back to this forum should anyone stumble upon it via a Google search in the future. Many thanks!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well I've learned several things during this exchange so thanks for taking the time. I wish the conversation could've gone like that when I phoned Sky today. I will wait a couple of days and see what happens. I will post back to this forum should anyone stumble upon it via a Google search in the future. Many thanks!
      No problem at all. Do post back in the next few days if you're still having the problems, of course, and we'll let you know the best thing to do next.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

however she then said to load the command prompt and type netstart. This was an invalid function which it is; I even checked she didn't mean net start (with a space).
      Just for information, the command is netstat no 'r' and to be honest is just used as a fob off by Sky agents who are just parroting something they have been told to do. If you had done it and found you had more the 10 connections you would have been told you had a virus, which is nonsense. A more useful command is netstat -b which will tell you what is using your connections.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Still ongoing but have made some progress. Thanks again for the support here, I can't thank everyone enough. The below is a lengthy but accurate and full account of this evening's events, after two days of no improvement. I can't help but find bits of it amusing...:

Call 1
      0844 2410515 option 1 - 3
      I explained the problem to a very polite gentlemen, I advised that I needed to speak to the Customer Solutions Team, I used the info gained from User05 to say a BT engineer said I needed to call them (a bit naughty granted). He said I should have a reference number really but in that case he's get me through anyway. I advised I was fine to hold and did so for 25 minutes. A lady then answered, I said, 'Hello is this the CST?' she advised it wasn't and asked for my ticket number, she told me to hold whilst she got it, I held for about a minute at which time she said I needed to go back to the fault team who would then give me a ticket. The line then went dead.

Call 2
      0844 2410515 option 1 - 3
      I spoke to a very patient lady called Gail, who listened to the problem but advised she still needed to do some checks. She was still much quicker than the Indian call centre and also took my word for things the former wouldn't. She did seem slightly disbelieving of the Rambo theory claiming that Sky were definatley sending 3mg down the line. I persisted (which I really had to) and despite her reservations did grant me a ticket number (woot!) and transfer me.

IMPORTANT BIT: Had it not been for User05's advice I proably wouldn't have argued beyond this point and instead I would have logically concluded that BT must have damaged the wiring during their visit or something. The agent persisted that SKY were indeed sending me a 3meg feed. Just to fill you in, I am actually a professional systems developer at a senior level, so if I could be blagged imagine the fate of a non-technical person. Admittedly my knowledge of telecoms beyond a network is poor.

15 minutes late a guy answers, I ask 'Hello is the CST?!', 'Err No, how can I help', I give the ticket number he explains lines are busy and do I want a call back? I say no I'm happy to hold - as long as it takes (I have speaker phone and can put up with the hold music). He tried several times saying its quicker to get someone to call me tomorrow, I say it isn't if the hold time is 1 hour so I'll wait. Obviously not hearing this before was bit confused and then transfered the call. Straight away the phone answers to a new voice! Ah ha! I thought... see it was worth waiting! 'Is that the CST?!' 'No, this is tier 1 support how can I help?' I explain I was in a queue, she tells me I have been put through to the wrong number. She takes a look at my account and places me back in the queue.

10 minutes of hold music and a familar voice answers with a closed generic greeting. 'Is that CST?' I ask, 'eeeeeeer No' comes the reply. I ask the guy if he remembers speaking to me which he does and goes on to apologise for connecting me to the wrong number and promises to get it right this time. I actually felt for the guy, he sounded embarassed.

Another 10 minutes later (not over an hour like I was told) and ,'Hello CST how can I help?'. Wow! I nearly collapsed. A conversation followed with a brilliant lady who filled me with confidence straight away.

She did some tests and said, 'wow that is slow, its the second slowest I've ever seen'. At last! she took me through the speedtest again to include it in her report and this has now gone to BT, I will be receiving a call tomorrow to see if it is fixed... I wish I could hire this agent to work for me, a breath-of-fresh-air. Just a shame everyone at Sky seemed to think I shouldn't speak to her!

I will update when I have news..
      Last edited by shergar1983; 05-11-09 at 10:10 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Good to hear, Shergar. Let us know if BTW get it sorted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast