Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Noise Margin problems

This is a discussion on Noise Margin problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; You have been capped to disguise the fault....

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Noise Margin problems

You have been capped to disguise the fault.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      SirStuie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Just a quick update:

After using the program Routerstats Lite recommended in an earlier post it was evident that when syncing at ~17mb my connection would have an SNR of ~5db with drops of ~3db every 15 minutes to 1 hour seeming to last only about 30 seconds rendering my connection unusable.

After being put through to CST I had difficulty explaining that the connection was dropping so often as at their end it showed it was resyncing only about once a day.

In conclusion she said it was either a problem with my house wiring (I argued that it was too much of a coincidence that my problems started with the sept speed upgrade) or my 2 year old netgear dg834gt router. So she agreed to send out a replacement router and cap the speed to 15mb which I can have increased once the new router arrives to see if it fixes the problem.

Since being capped i have had a 9db SNR which occasionally drops to 6-7db. Most importantly it has not lost connection at all.

Thanks again for all the help. Any idea on what my new router will be and whether it will allow a faster speed?

Thanks

Any idea on what my new router will be and whether it will allow a faster speed?
      It will be a Netgear or a Sagem, no one could say for sure, except the one who is sending it out. I don't think anyone can say whether it will improve your speed, you will just have to plug it in, get the cap lifted and test it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

SirStuie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Urgh, they sent a Netgear 934G and it is absolutely atrocious!

The problem with connection loss has returned and I cant even measure it effectively as it often gives a noise margin in the trillions (almost certainly an error in reading the number 0).

Gone back to using my old 834GT.
      Its strange how many people are reporting a near identical problem.

Anyway this really is the last straw after 4 months of problems. I will be requesting my MAC code asap and moving to BE.

Thanks

I think your problem is with your external line. If there is no problem on the voice side, it is almost impossible to get this sort of thing fixed. If you go to another ISP they may get BT to have a proper look at your line and possibly fix it. Then again it may be a fault with the exchange connection, which a move to another ISP would fix. I hope you do not have phone rental with Sky, or your move will not be painless.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12