Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Upload speeds

This is a discussion on Upload speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have been with Sky Broadband for about a year now but have never realised just how slow my ...

koppas is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01252
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD
      Thanks

Upload speeds

Hi,

I have been with Sky Broadband for about a year now but have never realised just how slow my upload speeds are until I took my laptop to work and saw how fast I could get uploading there. At home, I can get download speeds of about 1MB/s and upload speeds of approx 45KB/s. I have been told this is very slow and I should be gettin much better - I have done a speed test and been told my max upload speed is about 350 kb/s. Is this correct? I have Broadband Max. Why am I not recieving speeds as fast as this?

Also, if anyone can help, I am only receiving 8MB broadband but I only live 5 miles away from the nearest exchange - is five miles enough to nearly half my connection?

Please help.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Upload speeds

We'll need to see the router stats to help, mate:

How to get your router statistics

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by koppas View Post
      Also, if anyone can help, I am only receiving 8MB broadband but I only live 5 miles away from the nearest exchange - is five miles enough to nearly half my connection?

Please help.
      As User05 says post your router stats, but if you really are 5 miles away from the exchange I would be amazed if your are syncing at 8meg.

Thanks

Hi. Here are my stats. I am also "portforwarded" using Utorrent.

Hope this helps?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Your stats are not too bad. You should be able to get a download speed of 7-8Mb and an upload of about 730kbps. Go to Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester run a speedtest and post your speeds.

You could get slightly more on your download, but I don't think that is the immediate concern.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Download 5480Kbps
      Upload 676Kbps

Quite poor that considering I am meant to be on "max".

So why am I only able to upload between 40-80kb/s?

Thanks

I think you may be getting your kbps and KB/s mixed up. The former refers to kilobits per second which is a transfer speed and the latter to Kilobytes per second which is the amount being transferred.

Your upload speed is not too bad but your download speed could be better. Do you have anything else running when you are doing the test, you mentioned uTorrent? iPlayers can also run in the background. Your speed can also be reduced if you are using wireless.

You don't live 5 miles from the exchange by the way, more like half that distance.

If you phone Sky they may be able to up your sync speed a bit, tell them you think DLM has left it a bit lower than it should be.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think you may be getting your kbps and KB/s mixed up. The former refers to kilobits per second which is a transfer speed and the latter to Kilobytes per second which is the amount being transferred.

Your upload speed is not too bad but your download speed could be better. Do you have anything else running when you are doing the test, you mentioned uTorrent? iPlayers can also run in the background. Your speed can also be reduced if you are using wireless.

You don't live 5 miles from the exchange by the way, more like half that distance.

If you phone Sky they may be able to up your sync speed a bit, tell them you think DLM has left it a bit lower than it should be.
      Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated. I am using wireless by the way so that probably has something to do with it. Will give Sky a moan. 2.5m from the exchange should be giving me faster speeds, surely.

Thanks

If you have extensions you should post your stats from the Test socket, link below. It could be your internal wiring is pulling your speed down. 11-13 Mb would be a good speed for your attenuation.

If you were 5 miles from your exchange, you would be very lucky to get even 2 Mbs.

TomD

Useful Utilites