Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boy is this SKY connection slow

This is a discussion on Boy is this SKY connection slow within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; New to Sky broadband, I just moved house, and getting a really sluggish connection here. Im on the SKy broadband ...

dantheman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Boy is this SKY connection slow

New to Sky broadband, I just moved house, and getting a really sluggish connection here. Im on the SKy broadband everyday package, supposedly up to 10Mb
      Im getting around 3000Kbps on various speed tests. Browsing sucks.

Here are some router stats. Could anyone recommend a plan of action?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6140 kbps 252 kbps
      Line Attenuation 28 db 12 db
      Noise Margin 14 db 2147483647 db

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Boy is this SKY connection slow

If your new to Sky then chances are you are on DLM and your speeds will increase uto the 10mb that your line should get.

The only problem I can see is that your upstream noise margin has hit rock bottom, this can be caused by either not using a filter or having one fitted in the wrong place.

Please check every phone socket that is in use to ensure that a filter is the FIRST thing plugged into it, Sky installers have a habit of fitting a two way plug in first.

Also, if you are using wireless, try a wire and get a s[eedtest from this sites speedchecker.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You should take your stats from the Test socket, link below and post them. Your internal wiring could be interfering.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

There is no test socket in my house. All i have is 2 small square boxes with one telephone socket in each. I dont appear to have a master socket. Both these boxes run back on separate cables to an external grey box on the wall outside my house.

Since starting this thread I got to speak to Sky tech support, level 2. The guy 'boosted' the speed on my line and now I get theses stats:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 9113 kbps 748 kbps
      Line Attenuation 28 db 12 db
      Noise Margin 8 db 8 db

The problem now is I get very slow page loading times almost all of the time. Im talking 2 minutes to load google.com. If i reboot the router it sorts it out for a few minutes but then soon goes back to very, very slow.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Your phone sockets are wired incorrectly.

You should have only one connection from the main outside line, this should go to your master socket and then the second socket should be ran from that.

What you have now is causing noise on the line and interfering with your ADSL signal.

You shoud see aroung 14mb with your attenuation if the phone line was sorted.

The bits to fix this yourself will cost around 30 and a couple of hours in time.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for that response.

If I had to wire this in myself I would have to open up the grey box that is fixed to the front of my neighbours house. (some cables lead in to his house and some in to mine from the same box) Im not sure he would be keen on that and isnt that going to be a BT piece of kit?
      I was under the impression that BT own any hardware outside of my house and I cant start undoing boxes and rewiring them!
      My landline (line rental) is with Sky too, do you think they would come and fix it?

Charlieclark is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Thanks

Sorry wrong thread lol.

Thanks

My landline (line rental) is with Sky too, do you think they would come and fix it?
      You can try, but they are likely to quote a charge of about 100+ to fix it.

All you need to do is open the box and disconnect the wires going to one of your sockets. Which one you choose is up to you, but you should have a look inside the sockets first. One or both of them should have a capacitor and other bits and pieces. This is the master socket and if possible choose this one to leave connected. If both or neither have capacitors, it will not matter which one you choose.

You will not be interfering with your neighbours connection, as it will be connected to a different set of incoming wires. There is no need to touch these. When you have removed the wires, check your stats again, you should see a marked improvement.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You can try, but they are likely to quote a charge of about 100+ to fix it.

All you need to do is open the box and disconnect the wires going to one of your sockets. Which one you choose is up to you, but you should have a look inside the sockets first. One or both of them should have a capacitor and other bits and pieces. This is the master socket and if possible choose this one to leave connected. If both or neither have capacitors, it will not matter which one you choose.

You will not be interfering with your neighbours connection, as it will be connected to a different set of incoming wires. There is no need to touch these. When you have removed the wires, check your stats again, you should see a marked improvement.
      Interestingly I just managed to get Sky to arrange an upgrade date with BT. They are sending an engineer next week to install a master socket. No charge was mentioned.
      Ill post again after they have been.

Thanks

Make sure he removes the extra wire from the junction box or it will be a waste of time.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast