Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

McAfee Internet Security Suite 2009?

This is a discussion on McAfee Internet Security Suite 2009? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; When I downloaded McAfee Internet Security Suite 2008 from the Sky website back in July 2009 it was completely free ...

Warfield is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01344
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

McAfee Internet Security Suite 2009?

When I downloaded McAfee Internet Security Suite 2008 from the Sky website back in July 2009 it was completely free and with no commitment and with no requirement to sign up to a license agreement.

I just tried to install McAfee Internet Security Suite 2008 on my new notebook running Windows 7 64-bit but it displayed compatibility warnings and although the install started it is now reporting install errors.

The download version on the Sky website is now McAfee Internet Security Suite 2009 and it is still free but only for a period of 12 months and from 02 November 2010 it will cost me 3.00 per month or 108.00 per year. So when did this change happen?

I am miffed because I have never previously paid for anti virus and getting a full package for free was a major attraction of the Sky package. Sky does promise that the subscription can be canceled but I'm concerned that I'm likely to become a victim of inertia selling.

Has anyone used McAfee Internet Security Suite 2009 from Sky with Windows 7 64-bit?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: McAfee Internet Security Suite 2009?

I don;t think it was free forever, I thought it was a 12 month deal.

Anyway, it's not great. Try downloading Avast Home Edition, that is free and is currently running on my Win7 PC although only 32bit not 64bit.

kipper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

smithy99 is quite right, it was only on offer for 12 mths from when you signed up for it. After that you have to pay the subs for it mate.
      And yes there are plenty free a/v to be got.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      I don;t think it was free forever, I thought it was a 12 month deal.

Anyway, it's not great. Try downloading Avast Home Edition, that is free and is currently running on my Win7 PC although only 32bit not 64bit.
      Yep, hence its nickname of crapafee.
      Avast is running fine here on 64bit.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I'm using bitdefender on win 7 64-bit no problems as well.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the feedback.

The main attraction for sticking with McAfee from Sky is that it is a full product that includes a spam filter which puts spam into the McAfee Anti Spam folder and provides a toolbar in Outlook 2007 to manage the spam. I use Outlook 2007 from multiple computers so I like to have McAfee Anti Spam available on all of them.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent anti span solution which works on a private domain and preferably server based...?

Thanks

To be honest all the paid for internet security solutions do that, McAfee iis just the one your used to.

Currently all the big players do 30 day trials of their software so it may be worth just heading over to their web pages and trying them out until you find one that you like.

Note Amazon tend to do the internet security packages a lot cheaper than the manufacturers so check out the prices from them.

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

You might like to set up a free email account with either googlemail or gmx.com and direct them to collect your emails from your current servers. Both have very good spam filters and you can collect all your mail from them by POP3

Regards,

Felix

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies so far and here are the results of my further investigations.

1. When I downloaded the file called mcafee_security_suite_2008.exe in July 2009 I was logged on to the Sky website but I did not have to agree to a EULA when downloading.

2. When I installed mcafee_security_suite_2008.exe I did have to register with McAfee to activate the software.

3. The version installed or subsequently updated is McAfee SecurityCenter (sic) 9.15. I don't know if this is McAfee 2008 or 2009?

4. My new Dell Inspiron 11z running Windows 7 64-bit came with McAfee Anti Virus pre-installed but activation required payment so I tried to install the mcafee_security_suite_2008.exe from my Sky package over the top and this could be the root cause of my problems.

5. Today if go to the Sky website to download McAfee then I an required to agree to a comprehensive EULA and I am informed that the expiration date will be 03/11/2010 and after this time I will charged 3.00 a month. However I suspect that this download will not extent my trial period with McAfee (at this stage I have not agreed and not downloaded the new version).

6. If I go to McAfee-Antivirus Software and Intrusion Prevention Solutions then I can use my McAfee login to access the site and it knows about my Sky service and states that my trial for up to 3 pc's expires 07/2010 which is 1 year since I installed the software.

7. From the McAfee website and using my McAfee Account I can download a 1.3MB stub and when I run this small program it downloads the full McAfee program that I am entitled to use as part of the Sky package.

8. The download from the McAfee website installs perfectly on my Dell Inspiron 11z running Windows 7 64-bit . It is the same version as McAfee SecurityCenter downloaded from Sky and updated that is running on my other computers.

Observations

I have installed McAfee SecurityCenter on more than 3 pc's. All legitimate desktops and notebooks used by my family.

I suspect that if I can register a different email address then I may be able to extend my trial period on the McAfee website.

As stated before my preference to McAfee SecurityCenter is that it is a full package which includes a spam filter which works for me whereas other free anti-virus packages have more limited features and the full features are only available when the software is paid for.

I can't easily use a hosted spam solution because I run my own Exchange server which provides me with many other benefits.

If I sign the new EULA on the Sky website then after the 1 year trial period I will have to pay 3.00 per month to Sky. This price may work out to be considerably higher then paying McAfee direct.

I hope the above will be of some use to someone.

Thanks

do not pay 3 a month. Amazon have most of the paid for internet security suites for 15-25 for a 1 year 3 PC liscense.

I got my copy of bitdefender for 17.