Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problems getting sky broadband

This is a discussion on Problems getting sky broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I signed up for sky broadband along with sky HD and sky talk, I was told that because of where ...

marley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01489
      Broadband ISP: Soon to be sky unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Problems getting sky broadband

I signed up for sky broadband along with sky HD and sky talk, I was told that because of where I live I can only get sky connect and it will be 10 a month.

Ok I have no problem with that, so after the tv is set up and running and the sky talk is active i have still had no contact about the broadband. I phone sky and they apologise, they say sky connect is no longer availiable in your street but you can have the normal packages, so I opt for sky max 10 a month for a faster service and unlimited downloads. I'm happy with that although I thought the reason I had to get connect was because of where I live.

So the order is placed again and my router arives, am told my activation date will be 22/10/09. 22nd comes and it's not active, call sky they say wait another 24hrs, still not active, call sky who say there is a problem at the exchange we will get a bt engineer out in 24-48hrs and then you'll be active. 48hrs later, still not active. Call sky who say the bt engineer has messed it up we will send another out with in the next 48hrs, sorry it's in bt's hands now.

31/10/09 comes and it's still not active, call sky, put on hold for 45mins and am told sorry there is a problem, you have been connected to both the whiteley and locks Heath exchanges and it will take 3-6 weeks to fix.

Has anybody ever heard of this? Is it possible or am I being fobbed off? Should I wait for 6weeks or go with a different supplier? If so would the issue still exist with my line?

Any advice welcome as I'm not clues up on how telephone lines/exchanges work. Andy

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Problems getting sky broadband

It is a bit hard to see how you can be connected to 2 different exchanges, but I can see how they may have made a mistake about what you could get. According to Samknows, Locksheath is fully enabled and Locksheath-Whiteley is not - SamKnows Broadband - Availability - Locks Heath (STLOCKH) Exchange

3-6 weeks seem an awful lot of time to fix the problem. Unfortunately if you have gone with Sky for your Rental and have paid them to connect you, moving to another supplier may be very difficult. Try giving Customer Relations a call on this number 08000512592, it was working but it may be cut off. Failing tthat an email to Jeremy.Darroch @ sky.com may get some action.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

So hopfully if they fix it I will be connected to the locksheath not locksheath-whiteley otherwise I might be stuck with the connect package. When I first ordered the sky website said only connect is availiable when I put in my number but now it says I can get unlimited when I put in my number. I presume this means they have updated the exchange inthe last couple of months.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Thanks

Type your number and postcode into SamKnows Broadband - Availability - Broadband Availability Checker and you should see which exchange you're supposed to be with.

Thanks

Samknows suggests I should be on the locksheath exchange.

"Congratulations, you are in a broadband enabled area.
      Click here to compare packages available to you.
      However, is another service on your phone line (e.g. ADSL, LLU, DACS, etc) that would prevent you from ordering a new ADSL connection.
      The following services are available in your location:

BT Wholesale ADSL
      BT Wholesale ADSL Max
      BT Wholesale SDSL
      Please select the options on the left for more information about broadband availability at your location"

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Is there a green tick nect to any of the LLU suppliers?

There should be one next to Sky if they do it.

Thanks

If I put my phone number into the exchange checker and it says I'm on the locksheath exchange, under llu it has a green tick and says

Sky / Easynet:
      Enabled as of 20/11/2006

But if I click on some of the other tabs it says I'm on the locksheath-whiteley exchange and llu is not avaliable.
      Looks like this samknows site is also confused about what exchange I'm on.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It looks like the Locks Heath Whitely exchange is actually a part of the main Locks Heath exchange. Which could account for some of the uncertainty. If you are on the same side of the motorway as the exchange, you will probably be on the main exchange. If you are on the far side of the Motorway, it will be Whitely.

It is still difficult to see how you could be connected to both exchanges, unless you have 2 separate lines.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.