Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Confusion over speed...

This is a discussion on Confusion over speed... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, I have Sky broadband Max and it was configured to about 17.5mb Download and about 1.1mb Upload. Everything ...

chris_5252 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Confusion over speed...

Hi there,

I have Sky broadband Max and it was configured to about 17.5mb Download and about 1.1mb Upload. Everything was fine, the line was nice and stable. Speedtest.net gave me about 15mb download. The line noise was 7db DL and 7db UL.

However after about 2 weeks, I logged into my router and the speed had reduced to about 16mb, then one night it kept disconnecting and reconnecting at all sorts of different speeds. I saw 8mb, 14mb, 18mb, 16mb and maybe a few more. It has now settled at 16mb and the noise margins have changed. **When I now run a speed test on speedtest.net im getting around 4mb DL. This is what Im really confused about and the fact that my connection keeps changing. However when my friend in the same house (student house) runs the test he gets 14mb. Another mate also gets around 4mb** Solved that bit.

By the way, these were the modem stats when the connection was at 17mb, when the line was fast and stable...

ystem Up Time: 453:22:34
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 13438762 19261221 0 7745 3778 86:04:28
      LAN 100M/Full 60756859 43334844 0 2427 61 453:22:29
      WLAN 54M 17472804 14366848 0 1017 311 453:22:17
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 17371 kbps 1112 kbps
      Line Attenuation 13 db 5 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 7 db
      Last edited by chris_5252; 02-11-09 at 03:47 PM.

2. Advertisement
      chris_5252 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Confusion over speed...

Ok so Ive sorted the speed problem out now. Im getting 14mb on speed test.net. Had to reset the homeplug.

However I still dont understand why the connection speed keeps changing

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Confusion over speed...

However when my friend in the same house (student house) runs the test he gets 14mb. Another mate also gets around 4mb.
      This should give you the answer. Speedtest.net is crap. Use the Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester for a more consistent result. In addition if you are using wireless this can also be very inconsistent, varying from minute to minute. For an accurate reading you must use a wired connection.

It looks like DLM may have kicked in on your line causing it to resync to find a stable speed. This could be due to a fault in your external line, or more likely a fault in your internal wiring. To rule this out plug into the Test socket, link below, and post your stats from there.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.