Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

When is the 20Mb upgrade coming?

This is a discussion on When is the 20Mb upgrade coming? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Thanks for the insight. I'm an IT Pro so I understand the underlying technology without the analogies! I'm not complaining ...

MagicBoy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRSTO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: When is the 20Mb upgrade coming?

Thanks for the insight. I'm an IT Pro so I understand the underlying technology without the analogies!

I'm not complaining about the current service - I'm very happy with it, was just curious if the upgrade was running behind schedule etc. If I've been upgraded then I would have expected some sort of notification from Sky, either email or snail mail.

Back on the lowish Sync speed - I was working under the assumption that come the upgrade then the line would go back through the adaptation process, so the sync speed would sort itself out then.

When I signed up well over 2 years ago I was on connect as the LLU kit was full at the local exchange. Line got migrated to 8MB LLU after a few months on connect, then I took the upgrade to Max. Since going to Max the line stats have always been as above. Microfilters are as supplied by Sky with the router, and the house phone is connected to the same one as the router in the master socket. Nothing is connected to the extension wiring. Sky TV box is disconnected from the phone line as I'm out of the 12 months.

I'll contact Sky tomorrow for an official answer.

2. Advertisement
      neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MagicBoy View Post
      Back on the lowish Sync speed - I was working under the assumption that come the upgrade then the line would go back through the adaptation process, so the sync speed would sort itself out then.
      You can see from your current stats that your speed has nowhere to go regardless of whether DLM takes place or not, in all likelihood it may actually go down. This is why we've been asking for you to post your stats from the test socket so we can see if you Noise margin changes or not.

We're only trying to help you out.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

As an IT Pro, you should understand the need to test the connection at the point it enters the building, the TEST socket is this point which is why you have been asked on many occasions to post your router stats from there.

If you don't use the other socket/sm I would suggest you remove the master socket faceplate and pull out all the extension wires, this will then ensute that any internal wiring cannot then cause an issue with your connection.

We are only trying to help and with your low attenuation you should be able to double your speed and access the 20mb upgrade that you have been talking about.

Now if you cannot be bothered or really don't want too fine but why you would then bother to ask the questions here beats me.

Thanks

Having pulled up the rug, emptied the bookcase and moved it just to get access to the Master socket (in which there are no extension wires running off the faceplate) here are the router stats from the test socket :

Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10921 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 11.5 db 7.1 db
      Noise Margin 7.0 db 17.0 db

Given the time of day exactly the same.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

In which case there seems to be something wrong with your external connection as with that line attentuation figure you should be connecting at the maximum speed available. Have you tried a different microfilter and when you used the test socket did you just have the router connected via its supplied cable.

Just a thought, even though you dont have anything wired off the faceplace, do you have any extension sockets in the house? Do you have an alarm fitted and connected to the phoneline?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As you are not using the Master socket to plug your router in you must have another active socket. Did you check if this was working when you removed the faceplate? If it was and you have no wires on the faceplate it must be either connected to a junction box or to the A-B treminals of the Master. Both of which will corrupt your reading from the Test socket.

Another thought is that you are using the Master socket with a plug in extension which you also used to check the Test socket. This too would give you a corrupt reading.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

It's new build flat (well it was when I moved in a couple of years ago!). Building was pre-wired, so BT just turned up and patched me in.

The main NTE5 is in the hallway and this is what I removed the faceplate from to access the test socket. There are two other sockets in the living room and one of the bedrooms which share a non-BT faceplate with the TV aerials, Satellite feed etc. The secondary sockets must be wired in from elsewhere or spliced from the central feed, but I've no idea where from.

No alarm or Sky box or anything else connected to the non-NTE5 sockets. No plug in extensions anywhere. All cabling and microfilters are the Netgear supplied kit with the router. One phone connected to the microfilter in the master socket. Voice line is crystal clear.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

When you removed the faceplate on the master socket, did all the other extensions stop working?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If there are no wires on the Master socket face plate can you remove the next plate and see how many wires are connected to the A-B terminals behind it?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Figured it was time for an update... after getting no joy I gave up with Sky's "support". The line speed was good enough.

For some unknown reason DLM started on my line this Monday. Started at 16Mb, now at 19Mb and rising.

That's better!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12