Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Total connection drop outs

This is a discussion on Total connection drop outs within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Apologies if I've missed something obvious but read quite a few threads and can't see anything that actually seems the ...

Mot
      Mot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0113
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Total connection drop outs

Apologies if I've missed something obvious but read quite a few threads and can't see anything that actually seems the same as I'm getting.

For the past day and a half I'm having total connection loss for around 5 minutes every couple of hours or so. In the past I've had the odd drop out which just needs the router being reset and then gets back going again but this seems different. The little i logo is switching totally off for a few minutes and resetting doesn't help and then when it comes back on just stays orange for a couple of minutes. It seems quite regular and I can't really understand it because its never happened before. Wondering if its not something at my end for once?

Any advice would be very helpful.

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Re: Total connection drop outs

Stats, could be anything without posting stats. If you have a test socket then a set from there and a set from the main socket will help show what's going on.
      Also information about your physical setup on the telephone line, how many sockets, what's plugged in and if any extensions are in use will help.

Mot
      Thanks

I have no idea what they mean but here you go -

System Up Time 00:08:31
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1296 1019 0 3434 6086 00:01:06
      LAN 10M/100M 213 0 0 125 0 00:08:29
      WLAN 11M/54M 1757 2046 0 1232 690 00:08:21

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8445 kbps 948 kbps
      Line Attenuation 30.0 db 17.4 db
      Noise Margin 7.6 db 7.5 db

I have a decent length extension running upstairs from the main phone line box but its never been a problem before, running wireless now but had an extension due to my old PC not being able to handle the wireless and just disconnecting all the time. Might move it back downstairs now I have a better unit

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

What your stats show is that you are not getting anywhere near the speed you should be. Can you plug the router directly into the Test socket and take your stats from there.

The fact that your extension has worked OK for a long time does not mean that it is not causing problems now. Only the test socket can rule this out. It is quite OK to take the stats with wireless if you have it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

narl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mot View Post
      I have a decent length extension running upstairs from the main phone line box but its never been a problem before.

Dont use extensions with the SKY Broadband service as it wont work as well or it wont work at all. Use the master socket with a filter going in first. if you want to use an extension then use an Ethernet Cable (Ebay 6.00 for 15 meter cable).
      Or try wireless (channel 11) or buy a set of home plugs.

Mot
      Thanks

Well I've moved the router downstairs to the master socket anyway but after phoning support it turns out the exchange has faults and has been on and offline for about two days now so seems the problem is there! Thanks for the advice anyway

Just to confirm though anyway (as I'm not the most technical person) when you say the master socket you mean the main socket for the house I take it? I probably should go read up about this now I think...

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The master socket is the one which feeds all the other sockets in your house. The TEST socket, if you have one, is situated behind the master faceplate. Click the Test Socket link below.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.