Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What speed should I be getting???

This is a discussion on What speed should I be getting??? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, (sorry for long post) I was wondering if anyone knows what speed I should be getting from my ...

whitegra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

What speed should I be getting???

Hi all, (sorry for long post)

I was wondering if anyone knows what speed I should be getting from my connection, I had Unlimited connected a week ago and am only getting 507kbps download but 786kbps upload!!!!

I'm not at home now so can't copy and paste the router stats at the moment but if I remember correctly they are:
      Down:
      Sync: 507kbps
      Attenuation: 56db
      SNR: 16db

Up:
      Sync: 786kbps
      Attenuation: 30db
      SNR: 10db (not very sure about up stats as been focusing on download)

These stats are when the router is connected to the master socket through the filter supplied by Sky with no phone (or extensions) attached (I get same results from test socket)

I think the problem may be that when I first connected the router there was also an old phone connected (through the filter). I didn't notice the stats for a couple of days but the attenation was 70db with SNR 3db (was also hearing hiss through phone when router was connected but not when the router was disconnected). As soon as I disconnected the phone and reset the router that stats went to the above values but my speed has not improved. If I plug the phone back into the filter (have tried all 3 supplied by Sky) the SNR immediately drops to 0db and then reverts back to 15/16 as soon as I disconnect the phone. I bought a new phone last night and when that is connected the SNR still drops but only to 10db.

I get the impression that the filters supplied by Sky are rubbish, I have ordered a filtered faceplate which should arrive soon (strike dependent) and would like to get that fitted before contacting sky but was just wondering if anyone could tell me what speed I should be getting (Sky quoted me 3-4Mbps before I placed the order, which I would be happy with)

Thanks in advance for any help.

whitegra

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: What speed should I be getting???

You are correct, some of the filters supplied by Sky a rubbish. What you could try is plugging another filter into the first one and plug the phone into that, see if it helps with your noise. Plug the router into the first filter of course or it will not work.

You should get 3-4Mbs as advised by Sky.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for that, good to know my stats should support 3-4Mbps.

I will try daisy chaining the filters tonight when I get home and see if that makes any difference.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Unfortunately daisy chaining the filters (with router pluged into first one) made the noise margin drop even further when the phone was connected.

Since then Sky have responded to my support ticket and lifted the cap on the line, it's now syncing at 2mbps (not great but better than before), however whenever I plug the phone into the filter now the noise margin drops to 0-1db (from 10db when phone not plugged in).

I then recieved my filtered faceplate today and fitted it and the noise margin increased to 14db but still when I plug my phone into the filtered faceplate the noise margin drops to 0-1db and the connection becomes unstable (as before).

Stats with filtered faceplate and phone NOT plugged in:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2048 kbps 800 kbps
      Line Attenuation 56 db 31 db
      Noise Margin 11 db 8 db

Stats with phone plugged in:

Noise Margin 0 db 8 db

Stats as soon as I unplug the phone:

Noise Margin 12 db 8 db

This is starting to annoy me now, surely I should be able to have a phone plugged in without it affecting my broadband.

Just to clarify, I have tried 2 different phones, all 3 filters supplied by Sky (on their own and daisy chained) and a filtered face plate, using the test socket produces the same results. As mentioned in previous post I also hear a faint hissing noise on the phone when the broadband is connected.

Anyone got any ideas of what I could try next?

Thanks

If you are sure the phones are OK and have tried several different filters, that only leaves the router. Do you have another one or can you borrow one to try?

It still looks like you should get 3Mb+ when the problem is sorted.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dingle1990 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01798
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

hi i have just been connected to sky broadband. i have currently got a very slow connection. i have all microfilters connected and all wired up correctly.

System Up Time: 26:03:31
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 5802 6182 0 126 1117 01:43:04
      LAN 100M/Full 52979 49892 0 461 82 26:03:26
      WLAN 11M/54M 151152 194093 0 1581 238 26:03:14
      Connection Speed 576 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 48 db 31 db
      Noise Margin 12 db 20 db

these are my stats can some1 help please.

Please refer to this thread
      Poor stats, help please DO NOT reply here
      Last edited by Isitme; 04-11-09 at 03:56 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you are sure the phones are OK and have tried several different filters, that only leaves the router. Do you have another one or can you borrow one to try?

It still looks like you should get 3Mb+ when the problem is sorted.
      Unfortunately I don't have access to another router so I can't try that.

However, on another forum the consensus seems to be that my line has a high resistance fault because I can hear noise on the phone when router connected and no when router is not connected. Think I need to contact Sky to get an engineer out... Any advise on getting to speak to someone who can authorise this?

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whitegra View Post
      Unfortunately I don't have access to another router so I can't try that.

However, on another forum the consensus seems to be that my line has a high resistance fault because I can hear noise on the phone when router connected and no when router is not connected. Think I need to contact Sky to get an engineer out... Any advise on getting to speak to someone who can authorise this?
      I haven't read the whole thread, but the likeliness of a faulty router and/or adsl cable is high from that statement.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freddiemac View Post
      To qoute SKY's own website:
      "We will automatically provide the fastest speed that your phone line can physically support, up to the Headline Speed (maximum download speed offered) of your Sky Broadband product."
      (I suspect SKYdidnt anticipate that any of their customers were actualy capable of reading that section of the b*!!*$s they publish on their website)

Use speedtest.net to check the speed you are getting then pingtest.net to check your line quality. Any broadband comparison website will run a "max speed available" type test for you.
      When you have done all that you will begin to realise that what you get from SKY is Cr*p.

If you feel infuriated and overwhelmed with the urge to complain then - dont bother.
      SKY are to busy dealing with the numerous complaints I send them- (I have nothing better to do as I cant get on the internet due to being a SKY Broadband customer).

Ah' well there! are plenty of other telecoms suppliers out there -
      just dont pick BT - they are almost a bad as SKY.
      I can of course gauge you have a problem with sky broadband, but to flood posts with this generic complaint is plain pointless. In regard to your post on another thread, sky do not have an Indian call centre, and not all of their support staff are 'useless'. Perhaps if you calmed yourself down and explained what your problem is then someone could help you. If you don't want help, then this forum isn't for you evidentially.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freddiemac View Post
      To qoute SKY's own website:
      .................................................. ...................................- (I have nothing better to do as I cant get on the internet due to being a SKY Broadband customer).

Ah' well there! are plenty of other telecoms suppliers out there -
      just dont pick BT - they are almost a bad as SKY.
      Stop spamming threads with your useless comments. If you want help, start your own thread.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast