Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

er... is this a record? and what will go wrong? lol

This is a discussion on er... is this a record? and what will go wrong? lol within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've just moved house a few days ago, phoned B.T to get the line connected - this was switched on ...

Jaysun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Mansfield (EMMNSFI)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

er... is this a record? and what will go wrong? lol

I've just moved house a few days ago, phoned B.T to get the line connected - this was switched on today.... so I phoned Sky Broadband to get broadband sorted... finished the call - plugged in my modem and its connected!

Its not a great speed (around 2mb) area shows between 3.5mb and 6mb.

I was a Sky Broadband subscriber a couple of years ago when it started, but had to cancel last year temporarily... so I'm using my original DG834GT router (Sky rep told me to use it).

Would a new box been better?

Is it normal to be connected this quick (quoted upto 15 days)

Will the speed improve?

I'm on the Broadband Max Unlimited package.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: er... is this a record? and what will go wrong? lol

Its possible that the person who had the house before was on Sky and so you are using their connection so to speak.

When you cancel Sky BB, they do a flexi cease, ie instead of BT sending an engineer to the exchange to disconnect you, the port that was connected for the BB stays connected until Sky tell BT to connect that person's BB, if that makes sense.

What might now happen is within the 15 days or so BT go to the exchange and then connect your line to that port number and finish the job off. In which case you should lose connection for up to 60 minutes or so.

I know people that have ceased their line and still had Sky BB on it because of this, and as far as Sky are concerned, its just not possible, but it is.

Did you by any chance try the Sky router before ringing Sky to get it connected so to speak?

If this is a new connection, then it has definitely happened amazingly fast.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Jaysun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Mansfield (EMMNSFI)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: er... is this a record? and what will go wrong? lol

I didn't try the connection before phoning them as the telephone had only been connected earlier in the day... so never thought to try it really.

I've had a text message from Sky today to say my Sky Broadband will be activated on the 9th November....

When it is I hope its quicker than what i'm getting right now - barely 2mb