Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New cable being installed?

This is a discussion on New cable being installed? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, im obviously new and thought this would be a good place for an explanation to my problem. This afternoon ...

kprgooner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

New cable being installed?

Hi, im obviously new and thought this would be a good place for an explanation to my problem.

This afternoon i tried to upgrade my broadband on the sky website from Sky everyday to Sky Unlimited. It said there was a problem and i should ring sky up.

I phoned them up and was told i could not upgrade at the moment because there is a new line being migrated, or something along those lines.

He said something like an "esrvn cable is being installed" Not entirely sure wether it was esrvn, but remember is sounding like espn lol. I was told this was a mix of cable between fibre optic and copper, "half and half" in his words.

Does anyone know anything about this cable? does anyone know if it will speed my connection up when it is installed? And will i be able to eventually upgrade to unlimited. I live in brentwood essex if thats any help

thanks

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: New cable being installed?

Do you pay your line rent to Sky or BT?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

"SVBN", this is Sky's voice equipment in the exchage, you are being taken off the standard BT equipment and moved totally onto Sky's.

This will only happen if you have Sky line rental as well as Sky Talk.

There is a bit of a downside, if you ever want to change ISP's or phone providers you may encounter a delay as you will need to be re-connected back onto BT's equipment, this may also incur a connection charge.

That is one reason why I keep my ISP and line supplier seperate.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      "SVBN", this is Sky's voice equipment in the exchage, you are being taken off the standard BT equipment and moved totally onto Sky's.

This will only happen if you have Sky line rental as well as Sky Talk.

There is a bit of a downside, if you ever want to change ISP's or phone providers you may encounter a delay as you will need to be re-connected back onto BT's equipment, this may also incur a connection charge.

That is one reason why I keep my ISP and line supplier seperate.
      Thanks for the info.

yeah that sounds like it svbn, unlike my rendition.

Would u happen to know if this will increase the speed of my internet? or just improve my network as a whole?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Are you upgrading for more speed? If so, post your stats to find out if you will get any more.

The SVBN will be little different to what you have now, only the exchange equipment will be different, you will still have the same line from your house to the exchange. Quite a few have reported problems with the changeover, but this could just be teething troubles. It is unlikely to make much improvement in your personal experience, only to Sky's coffers.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

It should in effect do neither, it is just cheaper in the long run for Sky because they don't have to rent the equipment from BT.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes im on sky talk and sky line rental

Here are my stats, pretty lame ones at that

Connection Speed 1536 kbps 224 kbps
      Line Attenuation 48.5 db 28.0 db
      Noise Margin 18.8 db 11.0 db

I wouldn't be bothered if it doest improve much at all, but im looking for more usage out of my monthly allowance. Because on the Everyday package its simply not enough for how i use my internet.

It would be nice if i could use my xbox and the internet at the same time without any slow down for xbox live though.

They man on the phone did mention its going to be half copper and half optic fibre, and i said will this speed my internet up he said yes. does anyone know if upgrading to unlimited will speed my bandwidth up?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

the SVBN has no fibre involved with it at all...it basically means that rather than go through BT PSTN network to get to the Sky DSLAM you now go into one ISAM which provides both phone and broadband...the line is still the same...

and if you ARE on the SVBN there's currently (apparently) no way of upgrading your package...this might've changed by now but was the case the other week...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kprgooner View Post
      Yes im on sky talk and sky line rental

Here are my stats, pretty lame ones at that

Connection Speed 1536 kbps 224 kbps
      Line Attenuation 48.5 db 28.0 db
      Noise Margin 18.8 db 11.0 db

I wouldn't be bothered if it doest improve much at all, but im looking for more usage out of my monthly allowance. Because on the Everyday package its simply not enough for how i use my internet.

It would be nice if i could use my xbox and the internet at the same time without any slow down for xbox live though.

They man on the phone did mention its going to be half copper and half optic fibre, and i said will this speed my internet up he said yes. does anyone know if upgrading to unlimited will speed my bandwidth up?
      Your line is capped! You should receive around 4-5mb on that line.
      I personally think the SVBN change over is a pain in the ****.. but then again all I do is deal with the problems.. :/

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I wouldn't be bothered if it doest improve much at all, but im looking for more usage out of my monthly allowance........................................ does anyone know if upgrading to unlimited will speed my bandwidth up?

It will improve if you can convince Sky that your line should be reconfigured. 3 or 4 times your present speed I would think. I would not bother too much about how much you use, the system Sky have in place now should upgrade you if your usage exceeds the allocation. If their system does not allow upgrading, that is their tough luck, they can hardly blame you if there system is faulty.

When your line is reconfigured you will not get any more speed than you do on Everyday. To get any speed improvement, you have to be getting the maximum possible for your present package, you are not even close to that. Your line is too long.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast