Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

New cable being installed?

This is a discussion on New cable being installed? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme It will improve if you can convince Sky that your line should be reconfigured. 3 or ...

kprgooner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: New cable being installed?

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It will improve if you can convince Sky that your line should be reconfigured. 3 or 4 times your present speed I would think. I would not bother too much about how much you use, the system Sky have in place now should upgrade you if your usage exceeds the allocation. If their system does not allow upgrading, that is their tough luck, they can hardly blame you if there system is faulty.

When your line is reconfigured you will not get any more speed than you do on Everyday. To get any speed improvement, you have to be getting the maximum possible for your present package, you are not even close to that. Your line is too long.
      When you mean line is too long, do you mean from my house to the exchange, because i checked and its 1.22 miles from the exchange, is that too far?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Your house may be 1.22 miles, but the actual line length could be double or more that length. To get any increase in speed your attenuation would have to be in the low 30s at least, yours is in the high 40s. There have been cases where a fault on the line increases the attenuation, but this does not happen often and unless you have a lot of noise on your voice line, is unlikely in your case.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

kprgooner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Your house may be 1.22 miles, but the actual line length could be double or more that length. To get any increase in speed your attenuation would have to be in the low 30s at least, yours is in the high 40s. There have been cases where a fault on the line increases the attenuation, but this does not happen often and unless you have a lot of noise on your voice line, is unlikely in your case.
      okay thanks, so basically im stuck with the current speed, but will should be able to get sky unlimited when they finish this svbn business

thanks for the info people

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12