Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm lucky, apparantely!

This is a discussion on I'm lucky, apparantely! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I got the "we love you have 20Mb broadband for free" e-mail from Sky approximately 2.5 months ago. I ...

Chrono is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMLEE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I'm lucky, apparently!

Hi,

I got the "we love you have 20Mb broadband for free" e-mail from Sky approximately 2.5 months ago. I wasn't particularly bothered so just thought I'd wait and see what happens. Currently I'm on the 16Mb package and have been for 2 years.

Anyway, out of curiousity I figured I'd give Sky a call today and ask where my wonderful awesome 20Mb is (figuring I've waited long enough 10 weeks+).

I was told I wouldn't be getting it as my line only supports 6.5Mb MAX according to the equipment at the exchange. I was somewhat perplexed by this having been synced at 16,379Kbps for the past two years with no problems or lower syncs.

I pointed this out to the support lady, but of course she was only interested in the information in front of her, and point blank refused to accept that there was nothing wrong with my line. Sigh.

She said this would be investigated, but more from the perspective of how I'm able to have a 16Mb connection on a 6.5Mb line, rather than what the hell is wrong with Sky's useless crap system. So I'm expecting my speeds to be deliberately capped over the next few days, lol.

Here are the stats for my "dodgy 6.5Mb line":

Code:
      System Up Time: 412:05:53

ADSL Link         Downstream   Upstream
      Connection Speed  16379 kbps   765 kbps
      Line Attenuation  17 db        8 db
      Noise Margin      10 db        13 db

Tier 1 broadband support are a ******** waste of time. I may as well run out into the street and grab some random passer by and ask them to do something about it!

I suppose I'll ring them next week and select the "Leave Sky" option - this usually provokes someone to take you seriously.

I take it I need to be talking to someone in Tier 3?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: I'm lucky, apparantely!

Your connection has not been upgraded yet, but you should get a bit more. You could try the ping trick, by calling up and tell Tier 1 you want your delay reduced as you are a gamer. You should be put through to CST. When you get there ask the agent to lift the cap on your line to give it its full speed.

A lot of Sky's estimated speeds were based on the outdated BT system which could not measure above 8Mb on ADSL1, hence the stupid speeds quoted.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I tried the BT website when it said they were rolling out ADSL2 at their exchanges.

Again it said that the exchange had been updated but I would not see any speed greater than 6.5 meg/sec.

I was getting 8 when I was on ADSL1 with BT and I was getting 11 on Sky and O2 on ADSL2+.

If these companies want people to move over to their new services they need to sort out what they are doing with their checking systems.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

when i joined sky max 14 months ago i was put on g.dmt after phoning sky cst and getting in touch with a friendly cst employee here on the forum i got upgraded to asdl2. after removing around about 30 meteres of 20 year old internal cables i am synching at 15.3mb even thought BT and my sky show show maximum speed at 2.5mb

Donaldson2121 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMNEW
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Re: I'm lucky, apparently!

Quote Originally Posted by Chrono View Post
      Hi,

I got the "we love you have 20Mb broadband for free" e-mail from Sky approximately 2.5 months ago. I wasn't particularly bothered so just thought I'd wait and see what happens. Currently I'm on the 16Mb package and have been for 2 years.

Anyway, out of curiousity I figured I'd give Sky a call today and ask where my wonderful awesome 20Mb is (figuring I've waited long enough 10 weeks+).

I was told I wouldn't be getting it as my line only supports 6.5Mb MAX according to the equipment at the exchange. I was somewhat perplexed by this having been synced at 16,379Kbps for the past two years with no problems or lower syncs.

I pointed this out to the support lady, but of course she was only interested in the information in front of her, and point blank refused to accept that there was nothing wrong with my line. Sigh.

She said this would be investigated, but more from the perspective of how I'm able to have a 16Mb connection on a 6.5Mb line, rather than what the hell is wrong with Sky's useless crap system. So I'm expecting my speeds to be deliberately capped over the next few days, lol.

Code:

Tier 1 broadband support are a ******** waste of time. I may as well run out into the street and grab some random passer by and ask them to do something about it!

I suppose I'll ring them next week and select the "Leave Sky" option - this usually provokes someone to take you seriously.

Have you tried your modem in the test socket? or the master? I have a higher attenuation than you but still manage 20Mb download and 1Mb upload. Post your stats when in the test socket for comparision

I used the online Sky Kana form to get my connection maxed out instead of calling.

https://mysky.sky.com/portal/site/sk...contactus/kana

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

His line has not gone through DLM yet so is still on the old 16mb profile. This will chande to the new 20mb profile once DLM has ran and speeds should increase then.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

won't get a lot more with that current SNR, 1 meg perhaps...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Chrono is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMLEE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

When will this "DLM" be placed on my line? Maybe this will help Sky realise my line isn't the piece of wet string their system says it is and that divine intervention/luck/whatever plays no part in it being able to sync at 16Mb for the past 2yrs

Also, out of curiousity I tried the test socket and got the exact same stats, however, I noticed the socket itself is kinda loose and wiggly. Would I be correct in thinking that anything behind the backplate of the NTE-5 master socket is owned by BT?

Oh, and after putting it all back together again, my downstrean SNR has gone up to 12

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Would I be correct in thinking that anything behind the backplate of the NTE-5 master socket is owned by BT?
      Yes, but there is nothing to stop you taking it off and checking that the wires a tightly secured to the A-B terminals.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

The_Batman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 028
      Broadband ISP: 02
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: I'm lucky, apparently!

Quote Originally Posted by Chrono View Post
      Hi,

Code:

did u get them stats from the router settings page ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast