Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

very low noise margins since line rental moved to sky

This is a discussion on very low noise margins since line rental moved to sky within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Im on the Sky Base broadband package. Its the freeby, and so limited to a connection speed of 2mb. ...

rajah99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: slough
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

very low noise margins since line rental moved to sky

Hi
      Im on the Sky Base broadband package. Its the freeby, and so limited to a connection speed of 2mb. My line attenuation is good enough to hold about 5mb, so the noise margin used to be high.
      line attenuation: 53.5
      noise margin: 15

The above is what it used to be. A few weeks ago the line rental was changed over from BT to sky. In the last few days (since i was working from home) I noticed the router kept losing connection, and it was reconnecting. I looked at the noise margin and now its much much lower:
      line attenuation: 53.5
      noise margin: 8

Im still connected at 2mb, so why the drop in the noise margin?

im connecting using an extension cable, so did the obvious, plugged directly into the main socket, changed the filter, cable etc. And getting the same noise margins.

Must be something sky have done on the line since taking over from BT right?

customer support really sucks also. used to talk to a clueless 1st line, who would then pass onto a solutions team, or give u a ref number to call back in the night when less busy. Now im talking to a 1st line, then a svbm , and then they will log a call with customer solutions who will call you within 72hours! and no reference number!

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: very low noise margins since line rental moved to sky

When sky moved you over to their new network, they may not have made the connection right, like a lose connection to equipment. I think it is BT that go to the exchange to move you line from BT to sky.