Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Anoying Speed Changes

This is a discussion on Anoying Speed Changes within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Im new here so sorry if i made an error putting this in wrong area or something Ok heres the ...

crazydave is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Angry Anoying Speed Changes

Im new here so sorry if i made an error putting this in wrong area or something

Ok heres the story

When i first joined sky we was on sky mid, they put us on 2.5mbps connecton which i can accept. But the router lost connection every 10 min so we gave them a ring and connection issues stopped but they had to bring the speed down to 0.7mb. I was a bit upset about this but it was better than my online games to disconnect all the time. At this time my ping was around 110ms ish.

After about 5 months later we gave them another rang to test my connection to see if it can inprove. With luck it did. download 0.7mb to 1.4mb, upload 0.2mb to 0.3mb. My connection had almost doubled. my ping went to around 75ms. All was working fine

about 3 month after that my connection was all over the place changing every time i reset the router. i gave sky a ring and they said they were doing maintanace it should be ok in 2 to 3 week. After about 3 week my download went to 2.0mp and upload to 0.7mp, 45ms ping!. At this point i was luving sky each month faster and faster.

It was then my connection got worse and worse. my connection went down about 0.3mb every day. i would turn on my router in the morning then it would be 0.7mb next day 0.4mb etc. now my download is at 0.3mbps and upload 0.7mbps and wont change now. We gave sky a ring and after waiting 5hours to get through they gave use the excuse, "its where you live". we explained that we got 2mb before and then they cut the phone off . At the time i was downloading a lot so i thought it was the usage thing so we upgraded to unnlimited.
      This changed nothing what so ever.
      now im stuck with 0.3mbps download and 0.7mbps upload. My upload is double my download .

Why should may dad go through all the trouble of ringing up all the time it goes bad. Come on sky pull it together.
      If sky dont do something they may lose a customer that pays over 40 a month.

If anyone knows about this and can help me out please tell me. Because it seems like sky is fobing us of and i know of lots of over people who hate sky cause of this reason and have switched to a different isp and had no problems.

Here are my stats but i dont know what they mean .

Modem
      ADSL Firmware Version 7.03.01.66
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 378 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 778 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

Router Statistics

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 378 kbps 778 kbps
      Line Attenuation 60 db 37 db
      Noise Margin 14 db 10 db

Thanks for any help and advice you may give.
      Post moved to Help forum for better exposure.
      Last edited by Isitme; 22-10-09 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Moved post

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Anoying Speed Changes

You have a long line and will not get a very fast speed. That said it looks like you are on ADSL2+ which does not suit many long lines. Get your dad to phone Sky and ask them to move you from AFSL2+ to G.DMT. That should get your speed back up.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

I would suggest leaving your router switched on all the time, it will allow the line to settle. I'm no expert, but I think you're best restarting it in the evening to get the best signal. I t may help stability if nothing else.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I t may help stability if nothing else.
      It is stabilised, but at far too low a speed. It has been capped and no amount of booting will get the old speed back.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.