Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

New to Sky, very poor speeds.

This is a discussion on New to Sky, very poor speeds. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; First off, I only got this line about four days ago. The letter informing when the net went online said ...

Lexi is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

New to Sky, very poor speeds.

First off, I only got this line about four days ago. The letter informing when the net went online said for the first 10 speed tests would be done. It didn't go into details about what a speed test is or when they'd be doing.. Yeah.

So right, a few days ago, on sunday, the net dropped down to nothing. It could barely load a simple imageless page. My ping in ventrilo which normally sat at about 67 was jumping sharply up towards 6000. I figured that was the speed test.

However, as of now I still seem to be having problems. A lot of pages will take forever to load, youtube,, a few forums. The main problem however lays in video streaming. No website with video streaming I have tried will load the video effectively. Youtube for example takes about 10 minutes to load a 2 minute low res video, and other sites of a higher res just plain don't load.

Not really sure what I should post, details wise. But my router is listed, and my package is the max/unlimited one.

Is this all normal for the first 10 days of service? I'd love to know. Thank you.

Edit: On closer inspection.. I don't which netgear router I have. The site has two choices. If it helps, its small and black, sky on the front and.. Er, network cables sticking out the back? >_> Oh that note, I currently don't have any firewall on, with the default settings for the router firewall set at whatever sky have them. Which I guess is on.

Last edited by Lexi; 21-10-09 at 02:07 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: New to Sky, very poor speeds.

Post your router stats preferably from your normal position and from the Test socket. See the Quick links box on the left for details on how to.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.