Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sky connect issues

This is a discussion on Sky connect issues within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hello there this is my first thread as a new member of skyuser andas u can tell by my name ...

skyconnectsufferer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: holland on sea
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Angry Sky connect issues

hello there this is my first thread as a new member of skyuser andas u can tell by my name i am having problems with sky connect

well i am having all the regular probs that my fellowconnect users have with the throttling and strange speeds from 6.5mb down to 25-50k sometimes(i think this might be the cap issue that a couple of people have mentioned in threads,i use xbox live and download demos here and there)

well the speed throttling is peeing me off enough as it is,nothing more irritating than having a session on cod zombie mode with my friend and then suddenly losing connection to the game,i'd still be online on live but my speed drops too low to keep the game session going

the main reason though is something that happens now and again but happened 2 days ago repeatedly.i started a zombie match as normal with my friend but within 5-10 mins of it starting i lost connection to the match but also to xbox live as well,my router is near the television so i can see the lights and the internet light and had turned solid orange then after about 10-30 seconds it went back to green and i could log back onto live,but it wouldnt let me join a party or a game session so i turned router off and on and lights come on green as normal so i got on live again and into a match with my friend and same thing happened after few minutes,the light went orange i lost connection to match and live and then it went back to green again after short space of time but most notably when it goes back to green i am unable to join a game or start a party i.e. talk on mic in a group and the only way i can go into a match is by turning router off and on but leads me back to the same problem.

i tried 4 times using the same method all with the same results,i would also note that in the past i havnt even been able to get online period because the internet light hasnt even managed to go green and connect to the net so i have remained offline till i trie the following day and it comes back on.

your help much appreciated,sorry for length of message.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky connect issues

If you are a gamer, you are wasting your time between 5 and 12 with Connect.

You may have a problem with your line but the main problem is throttling. Post your stats from the Test socket, link below and from your normal position. See the Quick Links box on the left for how to get your stats.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Unhappy Re: Sky connect issues

i will post my reply for my stats tomorrow morning but in the meantime even with the throttling period between 5-12, why would my internet get totally disconnected and restarted on its own? its almost as if sky are sitting there and saying oh look we got another gamer tring to play on connect lets disconnect him.

just think its bizzare that it goes off then back on not long after starting a match then when i attempt a game again after it has restarted itself i am unable to.can they change settings on the line to disable certain usage i.e. limiting to just browsing?.

one more thing,what is bt broadband like for gaming? and how does there broadband work? is it llu type or another type of service? only asking as my exchange doesnt support llu service im sure u guessed this anyway cos of the fact im on connect.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

skyconnectsufferer
      Hi when did you join Sky Broadband. also Tom said router stats How to get your router statistics also you can do a Bt Speed Test Bt Updated Speed Tester the link explains how to then use the Test Result to do the test. Good idea to add Time and Date to test when posting for reference

one more thing,what is bt broadband like for gaming? and how does there broadband work? is it llu type or another type of service? only asking as my exchange doesnt support llu service im sure u guessed this anyway cos of the fact im on connect.
      You are using a Bt max re-badged product Connect. Have a look at some of the Connect threads lots of information. I would remove your post code I see your exchange is Holland On Sea EAHOL

Thanks

one more thing,what is bt broadband like for gaming? and how does there broadband work?
      You are in fact using BT Broadband, resold to Sky. Unfortunately Sky are unwilling to pay enough to give their Connect customers a good service. Some of BT's exchanges are upgraded to ADSL2+, which is equivalent in speed to an LLU service. Unfortunately this looks far in the future for your exchange, where a date is not even given for 21CN WBC.

If you are a gamer, consider moving to ADSL24 or Plusnet, both have good reports. Plusnet has a package which designed for gamers. If you are paying the full 17 for Connect, there will not be much difference in the cost.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

ok i have a couple of results for you attached at bottom, one from my router statistics and the second from bt speedtester both done in last 10 mins so will post them again when tested in peak time bout 6-7ish

also i have been looking at IDNet which look quite appealing to me,will it be a hassle to get sky to cancel without paying the remainder of contract?(i moved in august) i was on sky mid at old address which i couldnt fault whatsoever but sadly i cant get at new location,ill check out those other 2 isps you recommended
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky connect issues-speedtester-result-1216.jpg   Sky connect issues-sky-router-1218.jpg  

Thanks

Your stats and speed are very good. I don't see any reason why your connection should drop, other than it is being throttled so much that the speed drops so low that it resyncs, trying to get a better speed. I think you will find there is a drastic speed reduction in peak time.

Also take your stats later, when you do the speed test.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

had a late shift at work today so this is the earliest i could do the bt speedtester result below done at 23:00 and router at 23:08
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky connect issues-speedtester-2300.jpg   Sky connect issues-router-stats-2308.jpg  

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

a lot of people would kill for that sort of speed at this time of night on Connect...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I'd bloody kill to get that on LLU!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast