Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

How can i block torrents from my kids pc

This is a discussion on How can i block torrents from my kids pc within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; How can i block torrents from my kids pc using the BROADBAND SETUP page. You know the page where you ...

graeme122 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ESALL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: x2 Sky+HD, Sky+
      Thanks

How can i block torrents from my kids pc

How can i block torrents from my kids pc using the BROADBAND SETUP page. You know the page where you have to type in your ip address.

2. Advertisement
      joss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Adwick-le-Street
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HDmultiroom
      Thanks

Re: How can i block torrents from my kids pc

Have a look under the security tab >>> block sites.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Yes, or the services tab and block whichever torrent client they use.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

In addition to blocking sites if they are using torrents they have probably opened ports in the router or are using UPnP. Go to the Firewall Rule page and if any ports are opened in Inbound Services, select them and click the Delete button. Also go to the UPnP page and untick 'Turn UPnP on' Remember to click the Apply button when you make changes.

For this to stick you will have to deny them access to the router settings by changing the Login password to a secure one of your own. Restting the router will remove this password so check now and again that it has not been changed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

You also will need to check to make sure that they don't get a mobile internet dongle and torrent using that as well.

I got a ton of phising emails this weekend all from the t-mobile mobile internet system....
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Hello Graeme,

Quote Originally Posted by graeme122 View Post
      How can i block torrents from my kids pc using the BROADBAND SETUP page. You know the page where you have to type in your ip address.
      On Windows XP, Vista & 7, the best way to control access on your children's computers is to set up an 'Administrator' ID on each computer that is password protected. Then change the accounts your children sign in/use on to 'Limited'. You can then prevent them from installing software without your consent.

Access to changing the User Accounts is through the Control Panel. If you are unfamiliar with this, search on-line first.

When choosing a password, please ensure that you use one that no one knows or will guess. If you are someone who has the same password for everything, then there is a good chance that they will know this already. This will defeat the object of the exercise.

Finally, in the administrator account, check that there are no bit torrent programs already installed. If there are, uninstall them.

This process will prevent more than just bit torrent software from being installed. It is also recommended for those who have issues with some viruses.

Should your children want anything installed on the computers in future, then I would strongly recommend that they write down the programs, with a link to any web sites, and allow you to do it when they are not around. This process will also need to be applied to many updates that occur on various programs from time to time.

I trust that this will help.

Yours,
      Scubbie.