Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

High Sync - Is it stable?

This is a discussion on High Sync - Is it stable? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme Click the DrTCP link below and do the Tweaktest. If it makes recommendations, download the application ...

hyeung is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: High Sync - Is it stable?

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Click the DrTCP link below and do the Tweaktest. If it makes recommendations, download the application to make them.

Before you do this run a speed test on Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester then do one after you make the changes. Speedtest.net and speed.io are not very accurate and give very inconsistent results.
      Ran the tweak tests and the only suggestion was to change the RWIN values i.e. Choose RWIN between 150520 and 400440

Tweak Results - dslreports.com

Currently set as 1027840 (recommended setting with TCPOptimizer).
      I tried changing to the higher value of 400440.....this didnt make much of a difference?

I've set things back to 1027840 for the now; and i've tried changing a coding gain setting on the Billion router (to Inc1_5) which appears to adjust the sync speed.

It's now syncin at a lower speed:

Upstream 1129981
      Downstream 13738573
      SNR Margin(Upstream) 8.5 dB
      SNR Margin(Downstream) 7.20 dB
      Line Attenuation(Upstream) 14.0 dB
      Line Attenuation(Downstream) 33.0 dB

Again the connection appears stable i.e. no drops or snr fluctations.
      However, when performing the same speed tests the throughtput is now far more better i.e. the following give 12-13.5Meg results
      Namesco BroadbandMax
      Speedtest.net
      and the sky speedtest gives 11.6Meg results.

I assume that although i can sync much higher i.e. 14+Meg the connection is possibly unstable, but not unstable enough to drop its connection.
      Do you reckon i need to get Sky to tweak things from their end to achieve a more reliable 14+Meg sync; or do you think there's anything further that can i tweaked on my PC setup?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hyeung View Post
      With regards to the chipset manufacturer....I can't see any mention of this in any of the Billion router pages? Can you specify exactly what page? Also, what's the significance of this piece of information?
      It should be somewhere on the main status page I think. The significance is that certain chipsets don't work well together. We know the Billion routers use the Conexant Argon chip which perfectly matched the chipset used in the current Sky/Easynet exchange equipment, however if you're on the new SVBN network the chances are that the exchange is now using Broadcom equipment which doesn't work so well with your router.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Your connection speed has probably dropped due to normal fluctuations throughout the day especially now in the evening and you've only lost under 1meg so this isn't much Sky will do about it. Your throughput looks much better though and in the normal range, ie, within 10-20% of your connect speed.

hyeung is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
      It should be somewhere on the main status page I think. The significance is that certain chipsets don't work well together. We know the Billion routers use the Conexant Argon chip which perfectly matched the chipset used in the current Sky/Easynet exchange equipment, however if you're on the new SVBN network the chances are that the exchange is now using Broadcom equipment which doesn't work so well with your router.
      I can't remember the exact sync figures; but if i use the old Sky netgear router, it only syncs at around 12-13Meg. This billion router can manage up to 14+Meg with some tinkering on the settings.

Btw, i'm not on the Sky phone rental....So i assume i'm still on the old network.
      Again, i still cant find the setting you speak of?

Here's a demo web page for my router.....tell me if this rings a bell:
      3G/ADSL2+ (802.11n ) VPN Firewall Router

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12