Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Are these Sats Ok?

This is a discussion on Are these Sats Ok? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Try it in your Test socket, with your attenuation you should get very near the maximum. Your internal wiring could ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Are these Sats Ok?

Try it in your Test socket, with your attenuation you should get very near the maximum. Your internal wiring could be causing interference and pulling your speed down. If your speed has been set you will not see it increase, but you may see your noise margin go up, if it does, there is more speed to be had.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      chris_5252 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

Think ill give the test socket a miss, Im happy with the speed at the moment. Just a question but if the test socket was better, would you leave it connected instead of using the main socket? Sky have limited it to 17mb, I get about 15mb on speed test.net. It seems to be running very stable at the moment too, i dont want to push my luck to be honest. I cant decide if I want to ring them or not to uncap it to the full 20mb...

I wouldnt want to mess up a stable connection for about 1 or 2mb more. Download speed prob would increase greatly too

Thanks

I cant decide if I want to ring them or not to uncap it to the full 20mb
      Unless you get a better result in the Test socket, don't waste your time. Your line is getting as much as it can and still be stable, with your present figures.

If your Test socket was a good bit better, your next move would be to buy, fit and use a filtered faceplate. You could then get a better speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Unless you get a better result in the Test socket, don't waste your time. Your line is getting as much as it can and still be stable, with your present figures.

If your Test socket was a good bit better, your next move would be to buy, fit and use a filtered faceplate. You could then get a better speed.
      Do you mean I could get a speed closer to 17mb? And because of the limit I obv wouldn't see more that 17mb?

Is that what you mean by a better speed?

Thanks

You could get a speed closer to 20Mb. This would give you an actual download speed of 17-18Mbps. At the moment your sync speed should give you between 14.5 and 15Mbps actual download speed. Try it on Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeh, getting about 15mb.

Would I get those speeds even when Sky have capped it to 17mb?

Thanks

You will not know until you try the Test socket. If you get a good result you would phone Sky and get them to raise the cap.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

If tou have extensions in the house then it is worth trying the test socket, you could be very surprised with the result. If not that, then look to see if the ring wire is connected to the back of the master socket faceplate, even this can improve the speed greatly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12