Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Aquiring Network address problem, dongle wont connect to router

This is a discussion on Aquiring Network address problem, dongle wont connect to router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Recieved my Sky Router the other day and went out and bought a belkin 150 Wireless adapter! My Setup: ...

pbul2004 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Aquiring Network address problem, dongle wont connect to router

Hi,

Recieved my Sky Router the other day and went out and bought a belkin 150 Wireless adapter!

My Setup: - Router is downstairs, pc is upstairs. I want to be able to connect my pc using the dongle to my router and have wireless internet with use of NO cables going upstairs.

I had to firstly follow the CD that takes you through the process of setup, i then connected the cable...it worked! Then i install and connect the dongle > NOTHING!

However i cannot get this working, It connects fine when the Ethernet cable is plugged in from the router into the pc and i can log in to the router settings etc. But when i take the cable out and install the dongle i cannot connect to the router!

It recognises that the router is there, i click connect to my SKY network using the Belkin Utility manager, it asks me for my WEP key wich i correctly give, and then it gives a full single and tells me it is secure!

Then above this there is an image, on the left is My computer > then there is a RED line with a warning icon > then there is the router and then there is another RED line with a warning icon. Its like my computer cant see or get to the router. And i cant login to the setting on the browser!

When i hover over the icon in the windows tray it says acquiring network address... or something like that. But it lists the signal is at full strength and is secure etc!

I even tried to set up a connection through my PS3 and that failed when i did the connection test, it failed on...Obtaining IP Address.

Hope someone can help me solve this! Im at a dead end and im having sleepless nights over this!!!

Thanks for your help!

Paul

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Aquiring Network address problem, dongle wont connect to router

it asks me for my WEP key
      Have you changed the router security to WEP? It is WPA by default. Make sure you are using the correct encryption.

Try using the Windows Manager instead of the Belkin one. Sometimes you can do this by right clicking the wireless icon in the tray and selecting 'Allow Windows to manage my network'. If you don't find that you will have to come back with your OS as methods are different.

You could also try giving the wireless adapter a fixed address, try-
      IP ..............192.168.0.100
      S/net........255.25.255.0
      Gateway...192.168.0.1

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

The sky router comes with WPA-PSK as the default encryption. You mentioned you're giving a 'WEP' key, which unless you've changed in your router settings, it will not be a WEP key you are entering.

Try connecting to the network again with the belkin adapter and also the ps3, making sure you enter the network key found on the sticker on the bottom of your router. It's 8 letters long, the i's look like 1s and o's look like 0s, but it's all letters and even more importantly, all capitals. Any problems, post back.

kev25 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: clowne
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Pro
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Belkin does not like using the passphrase for the wep key for some reason. Try typing the entire numerical code in instead.User05's advice should sort it for you though.

The_Batman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 028
      Broadband ISP: 02
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pbul2004 View Post
      Hi,

Recieved my Sky Router the other day and went out and bought a belkin 150 Wireless adapter!

My Setup: - Router is downstairs, pc is upstairs. I want to be able to connect my pc using the dongle to my router and have wireless internet with use of NO cables going upstairs.

I had to firstly follow the CD that takes you through the process of setup, i then connected the cable...it worked! Then i install and connect the dongle > NOTHING!

However i cannot get this working, It connects fine when the Ethernet cable is plugged in from the router into the pc and i can log in to the router settings etc. But when i take the cable out and install the dongle i cannot connect to the router!

It recognises that the router is there, i click connect to my SKY network using the Belkin Utility manager, it asks me for my WEP key wich i correctly give, and then it gives a full single and tells me it is secure!

Then above this there is an image, on the left is My computer > then there is a RED line with a warning icon > then there is the router and then there is another RED line with a warning icon. Its like my computer cant see or get to the router. And i cant login to the setting on the browser!

When i hover over the icon in the windows tray it says acquiring network address... or something like that. But it lists the signal is at full strength and is secure etc!

I even tried to set up a connection through my PS3 and that failed when i did the connection test, it failed on...Obtaining IP Address.

Hope someone can help me solve this! Im at a dead end and im having sleepless nights over this!!!

Thanks for your help!

Paul

Try setting the ip address manually for your adapter, if this does not work, remove the encryption on the routers pages and tell me what you get