Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Broadband issues

This is a discussion on Broadband issues within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Bit of a long winded thread here. I changed my telephone line to Sky and at the same time took ...

ajstephe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Broadband issues

Bit of a long winded thread here.

I changed my telephone line to Sky and at the same time took out Sky Unlimited.

I connected it all up and it all appeared to be working fine except for the fact that I was only getting about 2 meg broadband. Slightly strange as my previous provider had given me 4 meg. I gave it about a week for it to settle before calling sky. I confirmed the setup with them and was then passed to tier 2 who confirmed that I had been capped and removed the cap and increased my service to 16meg. It was all stable for about a month and thought nothing more of it.

Superb I thought until a few days ago when all of a sudden I am getting interference on the line from the router (I can hear it making sounds and the line is very static-y) Also whenever the phone rings the line drops and whenever I make an outgoing call the line drops as well. I have noticed that the broadband speed keeps dropping. Everytime the phone rings and the router re connects it connects at around 10 meg and then gradually reduces over the period of about 24 hours down to 2 meg.

I did some trouble shooting. I changed different filters and even bought a filtered face plate. None of them seem to clear the static on the line or the modem sounds.

The setup I have is as follows. Master socket test socket to filter to phone/modem. There are no other socket in use in the house and these are the only two things connected to the socket.

If I plug just the phone into the test socket, the line is nice and clear, if I plug the filter in and then the phone but not the modem, the line is clear. It s only when I plug the router in, the noise starts.

I phoned sky for a second time and they seem to reckon that it is a faulty modem and are sending out a new one. I'm not so sure as I tried my own modem and seemed to get the same static and interference.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? Could it be the modem or could it be a problem with the line/junction/exchange. Sky said I'm not on any line testing and I have had the service since the beginning of September

If it isn't an internal wiring problem and not a modem problem, will I be expected to pay for work elsewhere.
      Last edited by ajstephe; 15-10-09 at 01:10 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Broadband issues

They are right to try the router first.

This could be a couple of things:-

1 - Faulty router
      2 - Faulty filters
      3 - High resistance external line fault

As you have tires 1&2 it seems that you may have a line error. Wait until the new router arrives and see if that fixes it, also try a couple of different filters.

If not you will need to chase Sky again and see if you can convince them to get BT out to do a check on it. (this will be the hard part).

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

take it you've tried a new adsl cable?...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Tried changing all cables with no joy. Will wait until I get the new router although I'm not holding my breath

Exchange:
      Thanks

Bit of an update, sky have contacted BT and logged a fault and will have an engineer round at mine next Thursday. Will see what happens, although for some reason, broadband does not seem to be dropping out when I receive a call all of a sudden.

Exchange:
      Thanks

All sorted, apparently it was a High resistance fault and one of the cables was corroded. Replaced and get back up to full speed with no noise on the line now!