Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BT disconnect problem?

This is a discussion on BT disconnect problem? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hope this is the right place for this post. Not been here in a while and have been a little ...

Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from 5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

BT disconnect problem?

Hope this is the right place for this post. Not been here in a while and have been a little out of touch. Mods, feel free to move it if need be.

My brother had his BT phone disconnected because he was fed paying for something he rarely used. It seems the Sky BB kept working after that. Not sure for how long because his pc started playing up so he couldn't use it anyway. His pc is now fixed and he's had the phone reconnected, but Sky BB refuses to work.

Is it possible or likely that BT put a tag on the line to say it was unused and that has stopped Sky working? Is it also possible that the tag hasn't been removed? I've reset the router, double checked all the connections, filters, etc but nothing works.

I've advised hime to contact Sky and check, but he's working away at the moment so probably wouldn't even get past Tier 1 wthout being near the computer. Anyone been in this situation or can offer any advice, I would be very grateful.

Mark
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

ADSL Link..............Down .............Up
      Connection Speed..9215 kbps......606 kbps
      Line Attenuation... 20.0 db..........11.9 db
      Noise Margin........ 20.9 db..........22.0db

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: BT disconnect problem?

Sky BB requires a BT line to work. Chances are that the line was ceased when the BT line was decommisioned, Sky BB may have carried on working until the line was re-used by someone else.

Now you have a new line, you will have to see if you can get Sky to put the service back on it although I think this may take some time and it will need a cease on the onld one and a re-provide for the new line.

Did he cancel SkyBB when he cancelled the phoneline with BT?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

From the sound of it BT left the line jumpered into the DSLAM, and for a while it continued to work but what might've happened is that the data ties have now been allocated to someone else and that's why you can't get online - other reason could be (if Internet light on router is amber) is either the router is suspended OR you're gaining sync on another ISPs DSLAM and failing authentication...

either way, you need a working phone line for BB...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys. I think the line was only disconnected for a week or two before he got it reconnected. Back on to the same old number and everything. Although I do realise that this doesn't mean that it's the same line.

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post

Did he cancel SkyBB when he cancelled the phoneline with BT?
      No, I don't think he even thought about cancelling the Sky BB

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      ... other reason could be (if Internet light on router is amber) is either the router is suspended OR you're gaining sync on another ISPs DSLAM and failing authentication...

either way, you need a working phone line for BB...
      All lights are green but there is nothing sent or received through the WAN (Router stats show 0 sent/received).

Anyways, thanks for your help and suggestions. I've told hime he'll have to contact Sky and try to getb them to sort it out. I'm pretty sure there's nothing I can do my end.

Mark
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

You could get him to add you to his account and give you the password then you can deal with it on his behalf.

Thanks

it's the same physical line so chances are the same ties are currently in use - hence why he's got the lights on the router...is it a Phase 1 (White) Netgear or Phase 2 (Black) router? Some of the Phase 1's had a green light without having an IP address (check the router status and see if it's got one - if so it's just the PC not connecting correctly to the router)...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Check the router status page, see if it is getting an IP address.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      ...is it a Phase 1 (White) Netgear or Phase 2 (Black) router? Some of the Phase 1's had a green light without having an IP address (check the router status and see if it's got one - if so it's just the PC not connecting correctly to the router)...
      It's a Phase 1 white router.

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Check the router status page, see if it is getting an IP address.
      When I checked the status page before, I think it had an IP address, but wouldn't authenticate. I remember seeing the 'MAC Address' and a 255.255.xxx.xxx address.

On the router status page page there were packets sent and received across the LAN, so I assume that means the pc is connecting with the router ok.

I'll run up there tomorrow and check again. Thanks again for the replies. I appreciate all your help.

Mark

Thanks

if it had an IP then it's authenticated...Sky IP address start 90.x.x.x or 94.x.x.x...

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just to update this, now resolved, issue.

My brother contacted sky and found out that the BB had been disconnected sometime after the BT line had been ceased. He now has to pay a 30 reconnection charge to get his BB back. At the time he got rid of his phone line it didn't even occur to him that he would lose his broadband connection. Lesson learned.

Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice. Kudos to SatDish and NewsreadeR. It's still a great site.

Mark