Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Within first 10 days of BB Unlimited, will speeds improve?

This is a discussion on Within first 10 days of BB Unlimited, will speeds improve? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, Our broadband was activated on Wednesday (so about 6 days ago) and we went for the unlimited broadband. ...

f1d
      f1d is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hatfield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Question Within first 10 days of BB Unlimited, will speeds improve?

Hi all,

Our broadband was activated on Wednesday (so about 6 days ago) and we went for the unlimited broadband.

We were told we could get between 10 and 20 meg and that they would start our connection off at 4 meg.

Now - due to the way housemates had plugged everything in (i.e. badly!) when I came home I noticed we only had 1meg.

After I sorted that out and the router reconnected it jumped up to the 4 meg and 512kbps ish upload. The connection was fine, we got the full 4 meg upload/download (or close enough anyway).

However, the next day I find it has gone down to:

DownStream Connection Speed 3069
      UpStream Connection Speed 252

Where it has stayed like this for days! I thought they would start increasing it?

Does our line quality (as in noise) look good to you:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3069 kbps 252 kbps
      Line Attenuation 24.5 db 11.8 db
      Noise Margin 19.3 db 34.5 db

Any ideas on what to do to improve this? I'm reluctant to give them a call at the moment, I just know they'll spout 'oh call us back in ... days time after the first 10 days'!

Cheers all!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Within first 10 days of BB Unlimited, will speeds improve?

Plug the router into the Test socket, link below and post your stats from there. If you have a Test socket, your best bet is to fit a filtered faceplate and connect the router to it. This will isolate all the other wiring and it will not matter then how they are used.

It looks like you will have to phone Sky to have your line manually configured, but post your test socket stats first to see if any improvements can be made before you phone them.

If you do not have a test socket remove the wire from terminal 3 on the master socket.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

f1d
      Thanks

Hey Isitme,

Not sure if we have a test socket (it's a student house and I *think* it's the only socket in the house, there are a few others but I believe they're cable so shouldnt touch the BT/Sky one).

Our phone line is through Sky.

I'll have a hunt around the house to double check for any other sockets, if not I'll have a look at the one we've got - that said I've got no idea about which wires to remove or anything like that hah.

I am still within the first 10 days (about another 3 days to go), do you reckon it is worth ringing Sky today about it, or should I wait?

The did however say the speed should increase, but it's only gone down and stayed there, and I'm thinking it was due to the problems we had on our first day and it was connected at such a slow speed for hours (due to housemates not using the filter correctly!).

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by f1d View Post
      Hey Isitme,

Not sure if we have a test socket (it's a student house and I *think* it's the only socket in the house, there are a few others but I believe they're cable so shouldnt touch the BT/Sky one).

Our phone line is through Sky.

I'll have a hunt around the house to double check for any other sockets, if not I'll have a look at the one we've got - that said I've got no idea about which wires to remove or anything like that hah.

I am still within the first 10 days (about another 3 days to go), do you reckon it is worth ringing Sky today about it, or should I wait?

The did however say the speed should increase, but it's only gone down and stayed there, and I'm thinking it was due to the problems we had on our first day and it was connected at such a slow speed for hours (due to housemates not using the filter correctly!).
      If the speed has not moved for a long time I would remove the wires now anyway then phone sky to get the speed altered manually by them.

Find the master socket, then on the back of the faceplate there are terminals that the wires connect to, all that need to be connected is the wires going to terminals 2 and 5 the rest can be disconnected just pull them out.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by f1d View Post
      Hi all,

Our broadband was activated on Wednesday (so about 6 days ago) and we went for the unlimited broadband.

We were told we could get between 10 and 20 meg and that they would start our connection off at 4 meg.

Now - due to the way housemates had plugged everything in (i.e. badly!) when I came home I noticed we only had 1meg.

After I sorted that out and the router reconnected it jumped up to the 4 meg and 512kbps ish upload. The connection was fine, we got the full 4 meg upload/download (or close enough anyway).

However, the next day I find it has gone down to:

DownStream Connection Speed 3069
      UpStream Connection Speed 252

Where it has stayed like this for days! I thought they would start increasing it?

Does our line quality (as in noise) look good to you:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3069 kbps 252 kbps
      Line Attenuation 24.5 db 11.8 db
      Noise Margin 19.3 db 34.5 db

Any ideas on what to do to improve this? I'm reluctant to give them a call at the moment, I just know they'll spout 'oh call us back in ... days time after the first 10 days'!

Cheers all!
      that looks more like the start speed for Mid/Everyday than Max/Unlimited...you sure no one's downgraded you by mistake??...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

f1d
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      that looks more like the start speed for Mid/Everyday than Max/Unlimited...you sure no one's downgraded you by mistake??...
      Not sure, still showing as 20 meg on Sky.com and telling me I should be able to receive 10-20 meg.

I'll give them a ring later and double check, as well as see what they say!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

prob for the best, that way you'll know exactly what's going on - just seems a bit suss...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

f1d
      Thanks

Well!

Gave them a call, first a friendly customer service guy checked a few things but seemed to know what I was talking about.

He then passed me to the 2nd level support, who said, ah ok let's reset your line.

2 minutes later, we now have 15 meg download, 0.4 meg upload. Upload could be better, but isn't too bad.

Downloads are lightening fast Yay!

Well done sky

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

An example of why competent tier 1s need line administration access...