Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help!

This is a discussion on Help! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone. I was wondering if any of you could help me. Ive been with sky for about 2 years ...

Daleo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Help!

Hi everyone. I was wondering if any of you could help me.

Ive been with sky for about 2 years now (Sky Max) but recently my download speeds have been limited to 50k per second, i only ever used to get about 300-400 at the most but im finding 50 is making it impossible to do browse when someone is using the internet for gaming or anything.

My local exchange supports sky LLU but do sky have a maximum limit to how many they can connect to it? I cant help but think im going through BTs traffic management system which is killing the line. At first i thought it was only on peak times but having tested the router through the week at different times the speeds dont change. this is what they are now.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 506 kbps 757 kbps
      Line Attenuation 41 db 24 db
      Noise Margin 14 db 8 db

I thought it might be something to do with the internal wiring but ive plugged the router directly in to the mastertsocket and tested that but the speeds remain exactly the same. I live about 1.4 miles from the exchange and according to BTs line tester my line should be capable of around 4meg. Ive got schedulers set up so that i dont over-do it between 5 and 12 but that doesnt seem to make any difference to the speeds.

I want to make sure ive covered all bases before ringing sky (as ive heard this can be quite an ordeal) so if anyone has any ideas i'd be greatful to hear them.

Cheers! Adam

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Re: Help!

Have you used the TEST socket, not just the master socket, to access this you need to remove the lower half of the master socket. (see sig for details)

You should be doing better, you need to check the test socket stats and then post them here.

If you ring Sky now ans speak to CST you may get 3-4mb but I would do the test socket first.

Also, don't worry about timing your downloads, there is not usage limit and no capacity issues on the Sky Max system.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Cheers for the reply.

I had a look at the master socket but it appears to be different from most the ones i can see in tutorials online, its just one fixed front instead of the 2 halves where you can remove the bottom half. Im guessing its an old one?

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

an old one/not the master socket does it have an logos on it or look any differently to any of your other telephone sockets?

just make sure you have checked all sockets in the house for a faceplate that does split in two and if you are 100% definite that you are in the master socket then ensure no extension cables are in use and everything is filtered correctly/try and remove devices from the line one by one and keep checking stats!

Exchange:
      Thanks

There are only 3 in the house, they all look the same and none of them split in two, the one by the front door is bigger and has a "T" in a circle on the bottom right of it. The others are unbranded which made me think it must be the master socket.

Thanks for the advice though, I will go unplugging and testing and see what happens.

Thanks

Remove the front off the master socket and ensure any wires plugged into terminal 3 are removed, just pull them out, you do not need these and it can cripple your speeds.

Then as advised, check every other socket has a filter plugged into it first.

Post your stats after doing this.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daleo View Post
      There are only 3 in the house, they all look the same and none of them split in two, the one by the front door is bigger and has a "T" in a circle on the bottom right of it. The others are unbranded which made me think it must be the master socket.

Thanks for the advice though, I will go unplugging and testing and see what happens.
      That'll still be the master socket, albeit an old line jack unit type. To be sure if you remove the cover you'll see a capacitor inside like this: http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/LJU2_1A_rear.jpg

Removing the ring wire (wire connected to terminal 3) can quite often show an immediate improvement.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hey sorry ive not posted since the weekend, busy week! Ive been on to sky and the new stats are

Connection Speed 1987 kbps 782 kbps
      Line Attenuation 45 db 25 db
      Noise Margin 12 db 8 db

Which is a start! Im off today so i will do the ring wire thing and check all the microfilters and let you know.

Cheers to everyone who replied

Thanks

Thats a bit better but you should still get more.

Ensure you remove any wires from terminal 3 (do this on all sockets if you are unsure which is the master) and check the filters are all in first.

Post your stats when you've done this, I suspect you will double the speed you have now.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Disconnected both orange cables from 3 and 4, also a green wire in 3 i got rid of.

Connection Speed 2008 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 44 db 25 db
      Noise Margin 9 db 8 db

Doesnt seem to have made much difference. There was another orange cable going in to T2, i have no idea what half of them are for so i couldnt explain any more.

The noise margin seems pretty low? Maybe if i tried early in the morning where theres less noise?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast