Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

LAN IP address conflict-no BB connection

This is a discussion on LAN IP address conflict-no BB connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have 2 W2K desktop PCs connected to the sky router. Allocated 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3. I brought my daughter's XP ...

doctord is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

LAN IP address conflict-no BB connection

I have 2 W2K desktop PCs connected to the sky router. Allocated 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3.
      I brought my daughter's XP laptop home to install some image software and resize partitions.. In retrospect i assume her laptop was allocated 192.168.0.2 also as this is the only device connected to her sky router.
      I have connected the laptop to my router before without a problem but this time i also had my desktop [...0.2] switched on when in the past it was probably off.
      The laptop gave an IP conflict error message [which i later saw on my ..0.2 desktop] and said there was not a good connection. Windows offered to fix/repair this and i clicked-ok ,thinking it would change address to 192.168.0.4 for example.
      However it changed it to something totally different [ from Running cmd then ipconfig] still with no broadband connection. I can get a connection by changing the TCP/IP properties from automatic to IP address of 192.168.0.2 and dns server 192.168.0.1 but if i return the settings to automatic then i get no useable broadaband connection despite my network icon showing that i am connected.
      On further swapping to the non-automatic settings i am again able to browse the internet but worryingly it didnt work at first and it took a reboot.
      I assume that my ill-advised Windows IP address "repair" has altered some setting deep in the workings of the laptop and i would like to remedy this before passing the laptop over with a problem that is likely to reappear.
      Any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: LAN IP address conflict-no BB connection

The XP repair function doesn't do much more than you have done yourself. Surely the solution is to manually assign an address for the third computer (and change back afterwards). In general when I manually assign IP addresses I avoid using ones that may be automatically assigned by the system, so I would have PC1 as 192.168.0.101, PC2 as 192.168.0.102 and either make PC3 ...103 . However as you appear to have all the PC's set to Automatically assign IP address then they should do so without conflict. Make sure they are all set to automatic, turn on your own PC's and allow them to acquire addresses then turn on the guest PC. If they are set to automatic IP addressing they should acquire ...0.1, ...0.2 and ...0.3 with Submasks of 255.255.255.0 (and gateway 192.168.0.1). If they don't then it suggests your settings are wrong at some point.

doctord is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Thanks for that explanation.. I think i now understand better how automatic setting works.
      All my PCs were set to automatic. But in that case , when i connected the guest laptop , i dont understand why it was given the same .0.2 address as my desktop that was switched on. Or does the pc have some memory of the last setting even when set to automatic ; or did this happen as my router was switched on the whole time during this and would rebooting the router allow the laptop to get a connection on "automatic" again?

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

The answer is no! The automatic IP acquire should work with any combination of PC's ON/OFF and re-establish itself automatically if the Router re-boots. Having said all of that I admit I have one piece of kit (an Internet Radio) that I assign a manual address to because it can be problematic - then I use 192.168.0.101. So as you can see you can have a mixture of automatic and manual addresses at the same time and that's why you put the manual ones well out of the way of the ones that will be assigned automatically. They all use the same Sub-mask and Gateway.