Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wifi connection problems

This is a discussion on Wifi connection problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I am having problems connecting and staying connected to my wifi router. I have had no problems in the ...

Mellifera is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky+HD and Broadband
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Exclamation Wifi connection problems

Hi
      I am having problems connecting and staying connected to my wifi router. I have had no problems in the past until just recently. There are other pc's and my iphone in the house but they have no problems. I can connect sometimes but it drops out after 1 min or can be hours. Then cant connect for 1 min or 10's of minutes. My laptop is and alienware M9700 and i am using REALTEK RTL8185 utility to connect to my new black Sky Sagam router. I have noticed when i can get a connetion this utilty looks normal with all the usual bits in it. When I loose the connection i notice the Encryption dissapears previously showing TKIP? The only change that may have occured is a windows update maybe. Signal strength and quality are very good but it struggles to get the network address. I have now started the windows zero config but it is excatly the same. I have tried repairing and disabling the adapter then re enabling it and sometimes it connects, sometimes it does not. Any info would be greatfully received.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Wifi connection problems

I had the same problems with a desktop using a belkin adapter. Problem was that the belkin utility kept conflicting with wireless zero configuration. It's probably what you're experiencing. Try out the following (I assume it's xp?) -

start > run > services.msc > right click wireless zero config and then properties > make sure it's automatic start-up type and make sure the service status is started (if it is started, then stop it and re-start it) > click ok.

Then on the belkin utility, make sure that you choose windows to configure the wireless instead of the utility software. From there...

start > run > ncpa.cpl > right click wireless network connection and then properties > 'change advanced settings' in the bottom left > wireless networks tab > make sure the tick box at the top is ticked and also delete any preferred networks that may be listed also > click ok.

Go back to network connections and connect back up fresh to the sky network. Monitor it and check whether it stays connected up properly from there.

Mellifera is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky+HD and Broadband
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, have done the above. It was set to manual so changed to automatic all the rest was ok. Still having problems with encrytion. When i loose the connection i notice in the REALTEK utility that there is a window tracing throughput. It's a graph of data i guess. The trace shows yellow spikes against a black back ground. When the connection is lost and i look at the trace there is one big green spike that goes from the bottom of the window to the top?? Also when you view the available netwirks it still thinks it's connoncted. When you either repair or disable the adapter to force it to find the connection again signal strength and quality bars are good but if the encryption shows none it will not connect. If the encryption does manage to show TKIP then it will connect if it does not show none again before it manages to accuire network address? Hope this helps. I dont understand why everybody else in the house has no problems just my laptop? I will download the wifi utility again just in case it has become currupt.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

My apologies, I thought it was a belkin adapter. Have you tried the second bit:

Then on the belkin utility, make sure that you choose windows to configure the wireless instead of the utility software. From there...

start > run > ncpa.cpl > right click wireless network connection and then properties > 'change advanced settings' in the bottom left > wireless networks tab > make sure the tick box at the top is ticked and also delete any preferred networks that may be listed also > click ok.

Go back to network connections and connect back up fresh to the sky network. Monitor it and check whether it stays connected up properly from there.
      The problem sounds like it is conflicting with wireless zero configuration (the windows tool to configure WNCs) so if you totally turn off the realtek utility then it should be able to do its job without conflict. If you can't find the option in the realtek utility, then try the following:

start > run > services.msc > Find the realtek manager listed in here and double click it > in the start-up type select 'disable' and also click 'stop' where the service status is listed > apply and click ok

That should leave it up to wireless zero config to configure the WNC, but make sure you go to the wireless network connection screen to connect to the network, click on advanced settings in the bottom left, then into the wireless network tab, make sure you tick the top tick-box and delete any preferred networks. Re-connect up and that should do it.