Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help: Some technical issues & questions

This is a discussion on Help: Some technical issues & questions within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone, first time poster but have used this site as a source of information for quite some time. I ...

.Lethal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Help: Some technical issues & questions

Hi everyone, first time poster but have used this site as a source of information for quite some time.

I have been having some issues with my broadband that I am hoping can be resolved with the help of yours truly.

I have ADSL max by Sky, my line is capable of receiving 2.5mb (according to the SKY tech support I spoke to last night). I was aware it was around this mark (I had figured 3mb due to line distance and previous experience.

Basicly my line was restricted to 1mb so I rang SKY tech support to change this. Eventually after a few hours it was changed to 2mb and this is where the problems and questions begin.

Firstly, I had to connect the router to the Master Sockets, test socket (the socket behind the plate). This was what Sky tech support used to raise my connection to 2mb.

When I finished on the phone I removed the router from the test socket and put it in the main socket on the master socket, the download speed dropped from 2mb to 1.2mb (I was reading data from the router).

I have a number of questions related to this I would like to fire away and hopfully some can shed some light on this.

1. Does the Router need to stay in the test socket permanently? I thought this was a "TEST" socket only for testing.

2. Does the Router need the filter connected to the phone line via the TEST socket?

3. Why does my connection drop from 2mb when in the test socket to 1.2mb when connected via extension sockets in my apartment?

4. I have a wireless phone and recieve massive line noise when the phone's cradle/charger is near the Router, is this normal? and does it need to be kept apart with some distance? (this does put the line noise back to normal but I would like clarification).

5. With the Router connected via the test socket and the land line connected in one of the extensions I am receiving MASSIVE noise when getting a dial tone on the phone, so much hissing/constant beeeeeeeeeeeping noise I cannot use it AT ALL. is this because the Router is in the test socket? Am I doing something wrong here?

Finally the Router in the test socket is currently connected with a microfilter, the Sky is and my landline. So I cannot understand the line noise when trying to use the phone, very frustrated.

Sorry for my wall of text, I am at a loss on this! I know other people in my apartment with the same Sky broadband package and they receive upto 3 mb.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Help: Some technical issues & questions

Quote Originally Posted by .Lethal View Post
      1. Does the Router need to stay in the test socket permanently? I thought this was a "TEST" socket only for testing.
      No but it is the best case senario for a good connection.

2. Does the Router need the filter connected to the phone line via the TEST socket?
      Yes if you also want to connect a phone to your line

3. Why does my connection drop from 2mb when in the test socket to 1.2mb when connected via extension sockets in my apartment?
      Because your internal wiring is dragging the connection down by introducing noise.

4. I have a wireless phone and recieve massive line noise when the phone's cradle/charger is near the Router, is this normal? and does it need to be kept apart with some distance? (this does put the line noise back to normal but I would like clarification).
      Wireless phones can interfere with an ADSL signal, it is wise to keep them apart as much as you can

5. With the Router connected via the test socket and the land line connected in one of the extensions I am receiving MASSIVE noise when getting a dial tone on the phone, so much hissing/constant beeeeeeeeeeeping noise I cannot use it AT ALL. is this because the Router is in the test socket? Am I doing something wrong here?
      When you remove the faceplate to expose the test socket, you disconnect all the other extensions from the line, this is why you are asked to do this for testing purposes because then nothing else can interfere with it.

Finally the Router in the test socket is currently connected with a microfilter, the Sky is and my landline. So I cannot understand the line noise when trying to use the phone, very frustrated.
      As above, with the test socket exposed none of the other sockets should work. What you will need to do is to buy a filtered faceplate, this will allow you to keep all the other extensions connected whislt also haveing a filtered connection at the master just for the router, it is very easy to fit and under 20 with an IDC tool to fit the wires into it.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

OK, I'll see if I can answer some of these.

1, No, the test socket is for test purposes only. There's no harm in using it but it'll be inconvenient and of course non of your other telephone sockets will work.

2, Yes use a microfilter.

3, The test socket isolates your internal wiring from the main incoming BT line, if you have problems with your internal wiring this will show up as a reduction in speed and/or noise margin.

4, Always keep your telephones wireless base station away from the router, they all use the same 2.4Ghz frequency. Although you can change your routers wireless channel which may help.

5, If connected to the test socket your shouldn't even be getting a dial tone in your other socket. Are you sure you are doing this: How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

Make sure your sky is actually using the microfilter as the first thing plugged into the socket and not the Sky supplied splitter - its an easy and very common mistake to make.

With the router connected to your test socket as outline in the link above, and with nothing else connected, pleas post your router stats.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      with the test socket exposed none of the other sockets should work. What you will need to do is to buy a filtered faceplate, this will allow you to keep all the other extensions connected whislt also haveing a filtered connection at the master just for the router, it is very easy to fit and under 20 with an IDC tool to fit the wires into it.
      So I need to purchase a filtered faceplate? And this would mean I can connect the Router to one of the extensions and not receive a drop in the max download speed? What is an IDC tool exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
      4, Always keep your telephones wireless base station away from the router, they all use the same 2.4Ghz frequency. Although you can change your routers wireless channel which may help.

5, If connected to the test socket your shouldn't even be getting a dial tone in your other socket. Are you sure you are doing this: How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket
      What suggestion would you give me on changing the wireless channel? Default is set to 1 so which would you recommend trying? Although I probably will just keep it apart from now on I still would like to know your opinion

I cant hear the dial tone, I just assumed it was there way in the background from the huge amount of noise blasting my ears. I guess what you said does make sense, it was a lack of exp on my part.

Thank you both very much for helping me out with these problems/questions

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I cant hear the dial tone, I just assumed it was there way in the background from the huge amount of noise blasting my ears. I guess what you said does make sense, it was a lack of exp on my part.
      When the faceplate is removed you should not hear anything on the extensions.

From what you describe it sounds like you are not using filters on everything that is connected to the phone line. For best performance the ADSL filter should be plugged into the socket first, then everything else plugged into it.

If you use a filtered face plate the rest of your extensions will not be able the receive broadband unless you wire a dedicated socket for it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

So I need to purchase a filtered faceplate? And this would mean I can connect the Router to one of the extensions and not receive a drop in the max download speed? What is an IDC tool exactly?

What suggestion would you give me on changing the wireless channel? Default is set to 1 so which would you recommend trying? Although I probably will just keep it apart from now on I still would like to know your opinion
      A filtered faceplate would mean you can do away with your microfilters as all telephone outlets will be pre-filtered. It does, however, mean that you would have to plug the router into the faceplate at the master socket, unless you wire it specifically not to. It should also mean a cleaner connection for your broadband.

Filtered Faceplate: ADSL Nation LTD.
      IDC Tool: ADSL Nation LTD. (you can get a disposable one for 60p)

To change the wireless channel I'd recommend starting at 13 and working backward until you get little or no interference.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      When the faceplate is removed you should not hear anything on the extensions.

From what you describe it sounds like you are not using filters on everything that is connected to the phone line. For best performance the ADSL filter should be plugged into the socket first, then everything else plugged into it.

If you use a filtered face plate the rest of your extensions will not be able the receive broadband unless you wire a dedicated socket for it.
      Everything was/is filtered as I had said in posts above. Nothing was connected incorrectly regarding the filters and how it was connected. I do however believe the wireing is wrong in the extension boxes so I am going to re-wire everything properly as the download speed drops far to much when not in the test socket.

Quote Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
      A filtered faceplate would mean you can do away with your microfilters as all telephone outlets will be pre-filtered. It does, however, mean that you would have to plug the router into the faceplate at the master socket, unless you wire it specifically not to. It should also mean a cleaner connection for your broadband.

Filtered Faceplate: ADSL Nation LTD.
      IDC Tool: ADSL Nation LTD. (you can get a disposable one for 60p)

To change the wireless channel I'd recommend starting at 13 and working backward until you get little or no interference.
      Thanks for the excellent post, It is so refreshing to see people who can help you rather than the people at Skys Tech support!

I actually had a very similar faceplate at my parents house when we first had our broadband set up in the very late 90s or early 2000/01/02 (we are going back a bit here). A BT engineer came out and replaced the master socket so we could receive broadband back then.

I will purchase exactly the 2 items you linked as it is not the first time I have needed an IDC tool, in the past I had to use whatever tool I could manage to use to fit the wires in, finally I know what the correct tools name is

With the re-wireing of my phone extensions. I had red somewhere that if you use filters that one of the wires in the extension socket doesn't need to be connected, is this true? and which wire is this? I believe it could be left unconnected to reduce noise or something similar.

I do realise that if I did leave this wire out that I would have to reconnect it if I used the faceplate on the master socket for my internet.

Thanks to all that have helped me here, it is very refreshing to find people who can help you with exactly what you need.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

You only need wires 2 & 5 CONNECTED, TERMINAL 3 CAN BE DISCONNECTED, IT IS THE RING WIRE AND NOT USED ON MOST MODERN EQUIPMNET.

sORRY FOR CAPS, FINGER SLIPPED