Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Adding a LAN switch

This is a discussion on Adding a LAN switch within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Not sure if I'm posting this here is appropriate, perhaps a moderator could move if necessary. I am using all ...

Richi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Adding a LAN switch

Not sure if I'm posting this here is appropriate, perhaps a moderator could move if necessary.

I am using all 4 ports on my sky router (two printers, desktop PC, Windows home Server) and need to add Vodafone Access Gateway which requires an Ethernet connection.

What are my best options for adding additional ports?

One of the printers has wireless capability which if enabled would free up a port but I prefer to have printers hardwired.

Ideally I would like to add 4 port a LAN switch, I'm not sure if and how this could be done and would appreciate any advice. Perhaps a fellow forumites has already done something similar and could explain the process.

Thanks in advance,

Richi

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Adding a LAN switch

Just plug the switch into one of the ethernet ports on the router and that's it. You would need to remove one of the devices your have plugged into the router at the moment and plug it into the switch.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Just plug the switch into one of the ethernet ports on the router and that's it. You would need to remove one of the devices your have plugged into the router at the moment and plug it into the switch.
      Isitme, thanks for such a swift response.

Would I need to change any settings in my router, I have port forwarding etc. set up for remote access to my Windows Home server or is it basically just pnp.

Do you have any hardware recommendations,details of proven combinations etc? I have been looking at the NETGEAR ProSafe FS105 10/100 Desktop Switch Switch 17 from fleabay, my rational being Netgear router Netgear switch should play nicely together.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You should not have to change any settings. I assume you have given your Server a fixed address so there should be no problem. There is no set up procedure for a switch, plug it in and it should work.

The NetgearProSafe FS105 is a good choice, as you say, being a Netgear it will work nicely with the router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You should not have to change any settings. I assume you have given your Server a fixed address so there should be no problem. There is no set up procedure for a switch, plug it in and it should work.

The NetgearProSafe FS105 is a good choice, as you say, being a Netgear it will work nicely with the router.
      Isitme,

Thanks for your post.

Yes your asumption is correct, my server does have a fixed IP, in fact all connected devices have a fixed IP

I'll order the Netgear switch right away and post back when I have installed.

Great forum, I need to be a bit more active....just need to find the time! I'm getting a Nokia N97 smart phone shortly so will have no excuse then, www just about anywhere

Richi