Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

15 meg sync but all speed tests reporting 2 - 3 megs

This is a discussion on 15 meg sync but all speed tests reporting 2 - 3 megs within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all I was wondering if someone could help me as I'm tearing my hair out 2 weeks ago my ...

Krill is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

15 meg sync but all speed tests reporting 2 - 3 megs

Hello all I was wondering if someone could help me as I'm tearing my hair out

2 weeks ago my exchange went down and afterwards I started to have problems with regular disconnections every 24 hours.

I rang Sky and told them and they said that since the exchange had come back up I wasn't able to get the speeds I was getting previously as I was now getting errors on the line.

They lowered my line from just under 16 megs to just under 15 megs and I have had no disconnects since then.

At the moment these are my stats:

Connection Speed 14911 kbps 765 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.0 db 15.3 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 10.0 db

The problem is that my Internet is now incredibly slow.

My download speed has dropped from 1.4 meg/sec to 300k/sec if I am lucky.

All speed test sites are reporting my line is 2-3 megs and after spending the last day or two on the phone to Sky customer support they are at a loss as to what is causing it and have escalated to tier 2 support. This is regardless of whether I am using wireless or plugged into the router using ethernet.

My router is the Sagem router and is plugged directly into a test socket using the XTE-2005 filtered master plate and no changes have been made at all to my network since the lowering of the speed by Sky.

Does anyone have any ideas whats going on because I have basically gone from a brilliant line that disconnects every 24 hours but downloads at 1.4 meg a sec to a line that stays up but can't break 300k/sec.

Many thanks

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: 15 meg sync but all speed tests reporting 2 - 3 megs

How many computers do you have in the house? I can assume if more than one that each device (if it is the only one connected) still has the same d/l speed?

If it is just the one computer, then open command prompt and type 'netstat/b' and check if any unwanted connections are there (it will list the application .exe beneath the process).

Saying this, however, it's a bit baffling that it's just happened straight away after the config if no changes have been made to your network. Do you have another router you could test with?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      How many computers do you have in the house? I can assume if more than one that each device (if it is the only one connected) still has the same d/l speed?

If it is just the one computer, then open command prompt and type 'netstat/b' and check if any unwanted connections are there (it will list the application .exe beneath the process).

Saying this, however, it's a bit baffling that it's just happened straight away after the config if no changes have been made to your network. Do you have another router you could test with?
      Hi thanks for the reply. I did the netstat thing with the customer service rep yesterday and there were 7 connections which he said was normal.

There are 2 laptops in the house and it makes no difference which one I use.

Do you think my line stats look ok?

I agree that it's strange and as I said I personally think it's something that Sky have done as it happened immediately after they lowered the sync speed but they can't seem to identify any issue

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

There have been a few posts from peiople that sound similar to yours in that past. Good connection speeds but a low throughput.

These took quite a while to sort out and it was a problem at the exchange. I think you will need to keep on at Sky and try to push for either a lift and shift in the exchange which ,eans you will have your connection moved from one piece of equipment o another one or at the lease see if they will get an engineer out to check the equipment etc.

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krill View Post
      Hello all I was wondering if someone could help me as I'm tearing my hair out

2 weeks ago my exchange went down and afterwards I started to have problems with regular disconnections every 24 hours.

I rang Sky and told them and they said that since the exchange had come back up I wasn't able to get the speeds I was getting previously as I was now getting errors on the line.

They lowered my line from just under 16 megs to just under 15 megs and I have had no disconnects since then.

At the moment these are my stats:

Connection Speed 14911 kbps 765 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.0 db 15.3 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 10.0 db

The problem is that my Internet is now incredibly slow.

My download speed has dropped from 1.4 meg/sec to 300k/sec if I am lucky.

All speed test sites are reporting my line is 2-3 megs and after spending the last day or two on the phone to Sky customer support they are at a loss as to what is causing it and have escalated to tier 2 support. This is regardless of whether I am using wireless or plugged into the router using ethernet.

My router is the Sagem router and is plugged directly into a test socket using the XTE-2005 filtered master plate and no changes have been made at all to my network since the lowering of the speed by Sky.

Does anyone have any ideas whats going on because I have basically gone from a brilliant line that disconnects every 24 hours but downloads at 1.4 meg a sec to a line that stays up but can't break 300k/sec.

Many thanks
      If you are using Win XP or lower you could try TCP Optimizer and see if that helps with the throughput, another person one here had the same problem as this tryed it and fixed the slow throughput, worth a try it not done so already.
      Connected at 17Mbps on sky unlimited

Test Socket - TCPOptimiser - Kana Form

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

I think it is a problem with your card in the exchange, quite possibly a result of the previous exchange problem. All you can do is keep at them and hope you can get someone to agree to get a check done at the exchange. You have our sympathy as getting a fault like this fixed is very difficult.

Your stats are excellent by the way.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think it is a problem with your card in the exchange, quite possibly a result of the previous exchange problem. All you can do is keep at them and hope you can get someone to agree to get a check done at the exchange. You have our sympathy as getting a fault like this fixed is very difficult.

Your stats are excellent by the way.
      I will keep on at them but I am worried and sceptical that I will be able to convince them that something is wrong at the exchange.

Many thanks though to everyone for their responses and good wishes in getting this sorted. I will try and keep people updated with the progress (if there is any)

Thanks for also letting me know that my stats are ok