Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

My Mid Package has been Downgraded

This is a discussion on My Mid Package has been Downgraded within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I signed up in 2006 to the Mid package. I have all the joining info in front of me and ...

nheather is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carfax, Horsham (SDHRSHM)
      Broadband ISP: Paying more to get Unlimited so that I get the same service as the MID I signed up for
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

My Mid Package has been Downgraded

I signed up in 2006 to the Mid package. I have all the joining info in front of me and it confirms

Monthly Fee - 5
      Router - Free
      Monthly Usage - 40GB
      Download Speed - Up to 8Mb

I've received an email sayin that I have exceeded my limit of 10GB

I check Sky.Com and sure enough, Mid is now called Everyday and has a limit of 10GB.

I was never told this.

I have an email on 27th August telling me of the name change but nothing about slashing 75% off my monthly usage.

On the phone now, and they are trying to tell me it is because I now receive a faster service.

I asked them how they make that out and was told I can now get upto 10Mb rather than 8Mb.

Moot point though

When I joined I connected at 7500
      That wasn't stable so they clamped me at 7000, put on ADSL1 rather than ADSL2
      Now I connect at about 6400

So where's my speed increase.

Basically, they have severely reduced my service and not even had the grace to tell me.

40 GB was more than enough but 10 GB isn't. Basically I'm being forced to upgrade because Sky don't want to stand by their original agreement.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: My Mid Package has been Downgraded

Not wishing to spread panic or alarm but check your direct debit!

Has your charge gone up from 5 to 10/month for broadband or do you have Sky talk?

Broadband ISP: Paying more to get Unlimited so that I get the same service as the MID I signed up for
      Thanks

I actually have Sky Talk - joined up in March this year.

I was worried whether I had done the right thing because before that they announced the increases in MID price (unless you sign up with Talk) but I got a letter saying that as a long term valued customer the increase wouldn't apply to me.

Anyway I signed up for Talk for other reasons and as soon as I did noticed that my statement showed MID package as 10 and a discount of 5.

So yes I am still effectively paying 5 but it seems that they have got back on their word because I'm now paying 10 with a 5 discount - so I assume that if I left talk I would get stung for the full 10.

Moot anyway as I now need to upgrade to Max or whatever it's called now.

Cheers,

Nigel

stu_uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Manchester
      Broadband ISP: plusnet fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

or you could ditch sky talk and BB and move to another providor that isnt gonna take the ***** cough O2 cough BT cough

Thanks

or you could ditch sky talk and BB and move to another providor
      May just do that but I'm tied into Sky Talk for another 5 or 6 months.

Besdies I'm getting a really good deal with Sky Talk at the moment because the product was mis-sold to me.

A Sky salesman kept ringing once or twice per weeek trying to convince me to take up Sky Talk. I had been thinking about doing something with the telephone account so at last succumbed.

But I was concerned about commiting to a contract, so the salesman assured me that you can pull out whenever you want - just give 1 months notice. I got him to repeat this to my wife and why doing so recorded the conversation on my voicemail. It was about 3 months later when I found out that I had been signed up for 12 months (should have checked the paperwork I know). I told Sky that I was very disappointed that they feel that they should stoop to such techniques and played them the recording. They apologised and gave me 12 months free line rental.

So that's quite a good deal to chuck away just now.

One concern though, I've also found out that part of the letter that I missed (didn't read) said that I was being moved onto SVBN. I've done some research and it has been suggested that once you are on that it is pretty difficult to move to another provider. Is that true?

Cheers,

Nigel

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nheather View Post
      One concern though, I've also found out that part of the letter that I missed (didn't read) said that I was being moved onto SVBN. I've done some research and it has been suggested that once you are on that it is pretty difficult to move to another provider. Is that true?
      Not difficult as such, it'll just take longer to do with a longer downtime of your services, you could be without phone and//or broadband for a week or two maybe longer. Also, moving off the BT voice network will mean it may be quite expensive getting back on again, ie, BT line activation charges.

Thanks

Also, moving off the BT voice network will mean it may be quite expensive getting back on again, ie, BT line activation charges.
      The real frustrating bit is that I wasn't even aware this was happening.

Oh yes, I'm sure they sent me a letter, but they didn't spell it out and the trouble is that I get so much 'chaff' from Sky there is a good chance I missed it.

I was told that the notification about the downgrade of MID package was in the covering letter for the monthly magazine. If that was the case I certainly wouldn't have seen it because the monthly magazine goes straight from letter box to recycling bin.

Just pretty miffed that they would make such a big change without getting positive confirmation that I was happy with it.

I hate these 'negative confirmation' methods that are used all to often by large companies - sneaky because the answer they want is a 'no-response' which they acheive if the customer fails to read\appreciate the letter or the letter gets lots in the post.

Cheers,

Nigel