Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Another Connect Customer getting slow speeds

This is a discussion on Another Connect Customer getting slow speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Okay, you guys have probably heard this all before, but here goes. I signed up for Sky in April, everything ...

Dunk1L is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hathern
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Another Connect Customer getting slow speeds

Okay, you guys have probably heard this all before, but here goes. I signed up for Sky in April, everything was fine on the broadband until about 6 weeks ago. We were regularly getting 5.5-6Mbps, even in the evenings during their so-called peak times (5pm-12am). All of a sudden the speed dropped down to less than 1Mbps at all times. I tried changing the microfilter, rebooting the router, went through level 1 support, plugged my laptop directly into the router and was still getting less than 1Mbps download speeds. I finally got through to 2nd level support the other week and they had me run some speedtests so they could see the results. They then blamed BT and said there was a fault on the line. A BT engineer came out last week and tested the line and found no faults and his equipment showed that our line was capable of handling over 7Mbps! So, I called Sky back and they were flumoxed, so they suggested I try a new router (which should arrive this week). Is this likely to solve the problem? Is it just that as a Connect customer I'm having my bandwith 'shaped' during peak times? I ran another official sky test last night and was getting 247kbps download speeds. It's worse than dial-up! Where do I stand with regards to my contract? Sky aren't even providing me with a useable BB service. If the new router doesn't sort it is there anything else I can suggest to them? Thanks for any advice!

2. Advertisement
      sparkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01834
      Broadband ISP: BT ADSL2+
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Another Connect Customer getting slow speeds

I doubt it will,I was with sky connect, I had the same story I ended up having 3 routers 2 white then the black one neither gave the speeds,sky even had the BT engineer out to check the line no problems with it. You will have to put up with it or jump ship to another provider.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Dunk1L
      Hi can you put your stats from the router on your next post if unsure follow these instruction Sky router stats (speed, noise, attenuation) explained and have Sky told you to do Bt speed test if not do some that way you have proof of your speeds you will find the information on Bt Updated Speed Tester But if it only started 6 weeks ago looks like the Traffic Shaping A lot have had problems since October many have left if you have any ISPs with LLU that is what you need.Lets hope the router improves some of your speed problems But It will not from 5pm till Midnight when the Throttling starts.

sparkey
      Hi is everything is going well

Thanks

Hi Steve16751,

Yep everything fine with me... You ?

Thought I put my penny worth into this thread, I'm on my second BT router now having a little slow down over last week

Thanks

sparkey
      Hi still the same old problems just done a Bt test 725kbps but with skyuser 392Kbps which seems more like it. Good to have some news and input by ex Connect users. you probably just needed a new router. I hear the Bt routers are good

Dunk1L is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hathern
      Thanks

I've run the BT speedtester 7 or 8 times, including at 6am, when it was still showing just over 700kbps. If the new router doesn't sort it (I'm not holding out much hope) then I'll have to look elsewhere. Unfortunately, our local exchange doesn't have LLU, just ADSL, cable and wireless. We do have Virgin in our area, so that's another option. We were with BT previously and suffered sever 'throttling' in the evenings with them too. I can feel a MAC code request coming on!

simonmaal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      Dunk1L
      A lot have had problems since October many have left if you have any ISPs with LLU that is what you need.
      I'm in the same boat and I've seen reference to LLU but a Google search isn't bringing up much in the way of explanations. So I don't have a clue what LLU is. Is there a nice easy to read description somewhere for those (like me) with only a rudimentary understanding of this type of thing?

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Thanks

Maybe this'll help ::. Kitz - IPStream v Datastream v LLU.::

Essentially LLU ISPs have their own equipment at the exchange and are therefore not constrained in terms of bandwidth and capacity unlike their BT rebadged product.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      sparkey
      I hear the Bt routers are good
      Touch wood working ok, I like the hub phone that comes with it,and another land line number, free evening calls, also the free BT openzone and the use of the BT fon network for free when out and about don't get that with sky connect.
      Yes before anyone says it I pay BT more than 17 a month for my broadband but worth it for that little extra.

Thanks

Dunk1L
      Hi looked at your exchange I see what you mean. Also at 6am the speed should have gone back to normal at that time so it could be your router post your router stats when you get your new router and a Bt speed test to see if there is a difference

simonmaal
      Hi click on the link Common ADSL jargon and abbreviations there is a lot of information hope it helps

sparkey
      Hi if it works for you and you are happy. That is all that matter`s