Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Max Help/Advice

This is a discussion on Sky Max Help/Advice within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey all, I've recently joined sky unlimited at my new house and the activation went smoothly during last thursday 17th ...

notsosmart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky Max Help/Advice

Hey all,

I've recently joined sky unlimited at my new house and the activation went smoothly during last thursday 17th september.It initially started at 4 MB and then after 2 days it has gone to 8189 kbps which it has now been on for a few days. I know sky say to leave the router on for 10 days but I thought that was for only connect and that the Sky LLU is rate adaptive?

Here were my stats before the call:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8189 kbps 789 kbps
      Line Attenuation 25 db 13 db
      Noise Margin 13 db 8 db

So tonight I called CST to see if they could up speed a little more as it was passed the 10 days. At first he said you will be able to get 11MB which I said was fine, then he said there were lots of errors on the line and seems the system reverted back to 8MB. When he tried to go back to the original speed it said it could only go to 4MB. I then tried the test socket as he suggested along with a different microfilter and shockingly it was worse aswell as the noise margin dropping.

I am now connected at:

Connection Speed 4096 kbps 800 kbps
      Line Attenuation 24 db 13 db
      Noise Margin 8 db 10 db

The BT line was installed recently and I noticed when I called up that the Noise margin was flunctuating. The line has no extensions at all so made sure I cleared that up. The nice bloke said I am around 1.2km from exchange (700m as the crow flies sam knows) and should be getting more better speeds. He has escalated it to tier 2 as he thinks this is a problem with the exchange. I will be getting a call back around 10PM-10:30 tommorow.

Does anyone know of anything else to check in the mean time or if they have an idea where things are going wrong?

Edit*
      I also get the following using the test button:
      The Sky Test was unable to detect the Internet connection error:300
      * Even though I have connected and browsing.

Thanks

A new slightly irritated Sky Max User.
      Last edited by notsosmart; 29-09-09 at 12:38 AM.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Max Help/Advice

Quote Originally Posted by notsosmart View Post
      I know sky say to leave the router on for 10 days but I thought that was for only connect and that the Sky LLU is rate adaptive?
      Sky's onnet LLU packages are RADSL, but still has a training period. The line training tool used by the connect package (ADSLmax) is referred to as RAMBo.

Here were my stats before the call:
      Connection Speed 8189 kbps 789 kbps
      Line Attenuation 25 db 13 db
      Noise Margin 13 db 8 db

So tonight I called CST to see if they could up speed a little more as it was passed the 10 days. At first he said you will be able to get 11MB which I said was fine, then he said there were lots of errors on the line and seems the system reverted back to 8MB. When he tried to go back to the original speed it said it could only go to 4MB. I then tried the test socket as he suggested along with a different microfilter and shockingly it was worse aswell as the noise margin dropping.

I am now connected at:

Connection Speed 4096 kbps 800 kbps
      Line Attenuation 24 db 13 db
      Noise Margin 8 db 10 db

The BT line was installed recently and I noticed when I called up that the Noise margin was flunctuating. The line has no extensions at all so made sure I cleared that up. The nice bloke said I am around 1.2km from exchange (700m as the crow flies sam knows) and should be getting more better speeds. He has escalated it to tier 2 as he thinks this is a problem with the exchange. I will be getting a call back around 10PM-10:30 tommorow.

Does anyone know of anything else to check in the mean time or if they have an idea where things are going wrong?
      If it has been escalated to fault management or onnet escalations then there's nothing you can do on your end really. If you've changed the filter and plugged into the test socket to see the SNR drop, then apart from an external fault somewhere I could only advise trying another router which I doubt is the problem. You hear any crackles/static on your landline at all?

Exchange:
      Thanks

I haven't noticed any crackling or static sounds on the phone so I hope its something on Bt/skys end as you say. I will report back when I hear anything, thanks for the reply.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

My one bit of advice is that if you do not get the call back at the given time, call them. Sky have a habit of forgetting to call back and the complaint is automatically closed. This results in having to go through the whole rigmarole again. Keep your complaint alive by constantly reminding them. Getting a ticket number is also important, you can then use this to get past Tier 1.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yep suprise no call, callled up first support kept stalling me, i simply asked to go to the tier 2 with my ticket which she then said you have no registered ticket and had to explain it all again. Shockingly bad service so far on the broadband side of things. Currently on hold for 15 mins...

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well finally got to tier 2 to a guy who just made me rethink my last statement. He said I should be getting around 14mb but seemed to be some line quality issues. He managed to get me onto:

Connection Speed 11259 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 26 db 13 db
      Noise Margin 9 db 9 db

I guess I should be happy with it even though I was originally expecting abit higher with my original stats. Im even more happy finally getting to support who actually helped me so effeciently. He did mention that there could be some line problems which made me think it been very windy recently and I have a telephone line to the pole that is getting battered maybe that is causing the problems? I dont think I will be able to get a engineer out to check the line as I am getting above the required threshold.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Well finally got to tier 2 to a guy who just made me rethink my last statement. He said I should be getting around 14mb but seemed to be some line quality issues. He managed to get me onto:

Connection Speed 11259 kbps 764 kbps
      Noise Margin 9 db 9 db

I guess I should be happy with it even though I was originally expecting abit higher with my original stats. Im even more happy finally getting to support who actually helped me so effeciently. He did mention that there could be some line problems which made me think it been very windy recently and I have a telephone line to the pole that is getting battered maybe that is causing the problems? I dont think I will be able to get a engineer out to check the line as I am getting above the required threshold.
      Good job, even though you seem to have some kind of noise/quality issue affecting the line.

Good news is that tier 1 is meant to get line configuration access soon enough (it's being tested with some tier 1s at the moment I believe). This will mean no need to get through to CST for simple drop down changes on peoples' profiles.
      Last edited by User05; 30-09-09 at 10:18 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hmm was still connected at 11MB untill around 12 when my connection went down and went to around 5MB. I then rebooted to get

Connection Speed 8009 kbps 764 kbps
      Noise Margin 7 db 8 db

Again I noticed the Noise margin flunctuating is this normal:
      Noise Margin 2 db 8 db

Just to clear up, the house didn't have a BT line originally so Bt installed a new line. I don't have any extensions connected to the line just the one main BT socket. I am connected like this:

BT line -> Microfilter-> router | Sky HD Double socket adapter + Telephone which goes into the socket.

I have connected with just only the router into the test socket and it was the same when I tired yesterday. I do have a cordless phone so would that cause any kind of interferance?

Where should I go from here regarding my connection?
      Last edited by notsosmart; 30-09-09 at 02:57 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Your line is unlikely to be new all the way to the exchange, probably to the pole or nearest cabinet.

You do have issues with the line, your noise margin is fluctuating far too much. The swing from your post 6 to post 8 could be something like 16-20dbs which is very excessive. You can try calling BT and tell them you have intermittent noise on your phone line, which makes some calls difficult to hear. They may send someone to have a look. Don't mention broadband or they are likely to do nothing.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Hmm was still connected at 11MB untill around 12 when my connection went down and went to around 5MB. I then rebooted to get

Noise Margin 7 db 8 db

Again I noticed the Noise margin flunctuating is this normal:
      Noise Margin 2 db 8 db

Just to clear up, the house didn't have a BT line originally so Bt installed a new line. I don't have any extensions connected to the line just the one main BT socket. I am connected like this:

BT line -> Microfilter-> router | Sky HD Double socket adapter + Telephone which goes into the socket.

I have connected with just only the router into the test socket and it was the same when I tired yesterday. I do have a cordless phone so would that cause any kind of interferance?

Where should I go from here regarding my connection?
      If you havn't already, check for any noise when you pick the phone up. pick it up press any number and listen for any crackles or pops etc.