Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Drastically reduced speeds after Sky line "upgrades". What's going on?!

This is a discussion on Drastically reduced speeds after Sky line "upgrades". What's going on?! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all You may remember that last month, Sky started to roll out "upgrades" to customers, as explained in a ...

hhobba is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Exclamation Drastically reduced speeds after Sky line "upgrades". What's going on?!

Hello all

You may remember that last month, Sky started to roll out "upgrades" to customers, as explained in a letter and on this website. Apparently these upgrades would improve the Sky Broadband experience and, I assumed, the speed of the line.

For the many months before these upgrades, I was seeing around 18Mb speeds on my line. In late August or early September I suddenly saw this fall to its current 10 -> 11Mb. I also saw an increased upstream speed (from about 0.8Mb to 1Mb) if that is worth mentioning.

I waited for about 20 days, assuming the line was maybe "adjusting" to its maximum capable speed, then phoned Sky. Talking to CST, I asked if they could adjust the speed to take it back up towards 20Mb, but was told that independent adjustment of the line speed is no longer possible on the new IISAM (I assume this is a type of MSAN) systems, and only "preset" speed values are available. So the guy tried my connection on the 18Mb preset, but nothing changed, and I'm still stuck at 11Mb. I honestly don't think he knew what he was talking about, as he didn't do much else and just told me that "the upgrades are still taking place".

I would greatly appreciate any advice on why my speeds have been crippled on this "new system" and if there's anything I, or Sky, can do to get me back up to what my line is capable of.

My router is plugged into the test socket, where it has always been for what I found was the best performance when I was getting 18Mb before. Here are my stats:

Many thanks!

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Drastically reduced speeds after Sky line "upgrades". What's going on?!

Something is amis. The router is set to target at 6.9db normally and you are already at 5db so you are lucky to get 11Mb.

Has something happened? Is there any noise on your line?

In order for Sky to get you back up to 18Mb, you need your NM to be way above the current 5db.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

With those stats you are lucky to be getting what you have now.

Either something has changed with the line or your previous speed tests were wrong.

paulwigfield is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rock Ferry
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have the same problem as OP. I was getting full 16mb when it was on 16mb. Now its on the new 20mb I only get 15mb.
      But now another thing is happening where every week or so my speed goes down to 10mb on its own. Resetting the router puts me back up to 15mb but a week or so later this goes back down to around 10mb.

Anyone else had this problem?

I was told by sky that DLM is no longer available on my line as its on the new system which monitors my line for the best stable speed.

Why was I on the full 16mb on the old system and never ever had problems for over a year and also had a ping of around 20? This new system they have is pants. Correct me if im wrong.

here is my current stats.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 15113 kbps 1172 kbps
      Line Attenuation 26.0 db 11.4 db
      Noise Margin 7.6 db 7.8 db

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

For the many months before these upgrades, I was seeing around 18Mb speeds on my line.
      This should not have been possible before the 'upgrades' which moved the maximum speed from 16 to 20 Mb. Do you have any saved stats for comparison? When you first switched over you reported that you were getting 10 Mb, which would be your maximum speed in those days as that is how it worked. Started at the maximum and eventually stabilised at a speed the line could maintain. Nowadays it starts lower and works up.

Your attenuation of 34 dbs, would not normally support 18 Mb, more like 11-13Mb, so if you did get that, something has happened to your line, causing the attenuation and noise to increase.

@paulwigfield
      It looks like your line has developed an intermittent fault, which causes the noise to increase, causing your line to drop and resync at a lower speed. These type of faults are difficult if not impossible to get fixed, unless it also effects your voice line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

jborea is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bolsover
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Since I was connected to sky unlimited last december I've had a stable 16mb connection which I have had no problems with whatsoever BUT today I have been switched to the 'new network' and noticed I was getting only 7mb connection so I've rang sky and they have said I can now only get 14 and a half mb now! WTF when I explained that I was getting 16mb on the old network he didnt seem interested but then he told me there was a problem on my line but didnt know what it was and if this was fixed I would more than likely get a better speed, I found out after that I couldnt receive incoming calls but now this is fixed I'm waiting to see what speeds Im going to get now!

System Up Time: 00:54:37

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 14857 kbps 765 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29 db 14 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 14 db

Thanks

BUT today I have been switched to the 'new network'
      Do you mean you are now on SVBN, Sky Voice and Broadband Network? Do you have phone rental with Sky?

Your speed is just about right for your attenuation, normally you would expect 14-16Mb. Plug into your Test socket if you have one and post your stats from there.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

paulwigfield is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rock Ferry
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

seems alot of people are having problems on the new network. is their any way to be switched onto the old network?
      if not would getting my landline rental back with bt do it?

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I don't think it's necessarily the move onto the SVBN network that's the issue, it's the switch to ADSL2+, which is going hand-in-hand, that seems to be causing the problems for a lot of customers.

Thanks

is their any way to be switched onto the old network?
      if not would getting my landline rental back with bt do it?
      I don''t think there is any way to switch back, apart from, as you suggest, moving your Rental to BT. This might not be so easy as Sky can either hold you to your contract or charge you the amount you would have paid had you completed it. BT may also want to be paid for reconnecting you.

TomD

Useful Utilites