Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

In for a year???

This is a discussion on In for a year??? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, i signed up for Sky about 6 months ago and i got the free broadband but i decided to ...

paulwatson5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

In for a year???

Hi, i signed up for Sky about 6 months ago and i got the free broadband but i decided to pay the extra 5 a month to get the medium broadband package because of the extra download limits etc.
      After 6 months now im sick of a usuless service which is 1.76mb download speeds (200kbps download MAX) when the service says upto 10mb.
      I have tried a faceplate etc and nothing works.
      I am in the deal for a year as i want to switch to o2 as i hear it is a LOT better and its only 7.50 for o2 customers.
      Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: In for a year???

Did you call Sky as advised in your other thread? It will not fix itself, only CST can do it.

I don't know if Sky will charge you for leaving within your contract, most of those that have done so were on Connect and had a good excuse for leaving.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

no i havent, i dont know what that is or what to ask etc.,

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Follow the instruction in User05 post and my post 10 in this thread Upgrade BB Speed?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

ok, but if that didnt work, am i locked in for a year?

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Have a read of the T&Cs of your contract.

Yes, your contract is for a year, but the T&Cs is full of get out clauses.

http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skyco...roadband/terms

condition 11:

11. How long your Contract lasts
      (a) This Contract cannot end during the first 12 calendar months from your Activation Date (“Minimum Term”) unless you, we or SHS have a right to do so under this Condition 11. After the Minimum Term, this Contract will continue until either you or we end it in a way set out in this Condition 11. During your Minimum Term, unless we agree otherwise, you cannot downgrade your chosen Product unless Conditions 1(f), 5(b)(b) or 7(c), (d), or (e) apply or you downgrade as allowed under our Usage Policies after you have been automatically upgraded under that policy.
      (b) You will have to pay us an early termination charge if this Contract ends before the end of the Minimum Term unless:
      a. You have a right to end it under Condition 11(c) of this Contract; or
      b. You are exercising your right to cancel as set out in ‘Your Rights to Cancel Sky Broadband’ (see below); or
      c. You end your Sky digital Subscription Contract (during or after its minimum term):
      i. for one of the reasons set out in conditions 11(a)(i) to (iv) of your Sky digital Subscription Contract; or
      ii. because your Sky digital subscription payment has increased by more than the limits set out in Conditions 2(c)(i) or (ii) of your Sky digital Subscription Contract, by giving us one calendar’s month notice; or
      iii. because a Sky group company has broken a condition of your Sky digital Subscription Contract, by giving us seven days' notice; or
      iv. in accordance with the rights set out in “Your Rights to Cancel” in your Sky Contracts Booklet,
      (in each case this Contract will automatically end at the same time).

The early termination charge will not be more than the charges you would have paid for your chosen Product for the remainder of the minimum term less any costs we save, including the cost of no longer providing you with Sky Broadband. We may charge your early termination charge directly to any of the credit or debit cards which you have provided us with details of (e.g. when you paid for your installation) and by accepting the terms of this Contract you authorise us to do so. We will give you reasonable notice before making any charge.
      (c) You can only end this Contract during your Minimum Term if:
      (i) Conditions 7(a), 10(b) or 11(e) apply; or
      (ii) we increase your Sky Broadband Payment more than once, or by more than 10% or the increase in the UK Retail Price Index over the 12 months before we tell you about that price increase, whichever is the greater, unless Condition 6(c) applies.
      (iii) Condition 5(b)(b) or 5(d) applies.
      (d) To end this Contract under Condition 11(c), you must give us at least seven days' notice within one calendar month of receipt of any notice from us. Please bear in mind how long it will take to end your Contract (see Condition 11(g) below) to ensure that you are not affected by any changes we notify to you.
      (e) You may end this Contract by giving us seven days' notice at any time (including during your Minimum Term) if we or SHS break any of the Conditions.
      (f) If you want to end the Contract for any other reason you may do so at the end of or after your Minimum Term in accordance with Condition 11(g).
      (g) If you tell us that you want to end this Contract under this Condition 11, how long your Contract lasts will depend on whether you are on our Sky Voice and Broadband network and on what you want to do with your broadband service:
      a. If you are switching to another broadband provider which can provide broadband services on your existing phone line we will provide you with a Migration Authorisation Code (MAC). You will need to give your MAC to your new provider. Your Sky Broadband service will end when we are notified by your new provider that your broadband service is switching and this Contract will end at the same time. If you have not used your MAC within 30 days it will expire and you will continue to receive Sky Broadband under this Contract unless you tell us otherwise.
      b. If you are switching to another broadband provider which can provide broadband services on your existing phone line without a MAC, your Sky Broadband service will end once we are notified by your new provider that your broadband service is switching and this Contract will end at the same time. If we do not receive any notification then you will continue to receive Sky Broadband unless you tell us otherwise.
      c. If you are not switching to another broadband provider but want to end this Contract or you are switching to a provider who cannot provide services on your existing line then you must give us at least 10 working days notice. Your Sky Broadband service and this Contract will end once this notice period expires.
      d. If you are on the Sky Voice and Broadband network Conditions 11(g), (a) to (c) above do not apply and you must give us at least 10 working days notice. Your Sky Broadband service and your Contract will end once this notice expires.
      (h) We can immediately suspend the provision of Sky Broadband and/or end this Contract by giving you seven days' notice at any time (including during your Minimum Term) if:
      (i) you have missed any payments that you owe us or break any of the Conditions;
      (ii) you, anyone you authorise to deal with us on your behalf, or any of your additional users act in a way towards our staff or agents which we reasonably consider to be inappropriate; or
      (iii) if we have reasonable grounds to suspect fraud or any other unauthorised activity.
      We will not refund any Sky Broadband Payments or other payments made under this Contract if we end this Contract under this Condition 11(h).
      (i) We may end this Contract at the end of or after your Minimum Term by giving you 10 working days notice at any time.
      (j) If you are on the Sky Voice and Broadband Network and you or we end your Sky Talk service in line with your Sky Talk Terms and Conditions and you want to transfer your telephone service to another provider, you will need to contact your new provider to arrange the transfer. You will lose your Sky Broadband once your Sky Talk service is cancelled. If you want to re-order Sky Broadband you will need to contact us once you have a new BT compatible line.