Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Tackling some low speeds.....

This is a discussion on Tackling some low speeds..... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; When the faceplate is removed check you have no dial tone at any of the extension sockets. It does not ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Tackling some low speeds.....

When the faceplate is removed check you have no dial tone at any of the extension sockets. It does not matter whether they are used or not, if they are incorrectly wired, they can effect your connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      jimmyca69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Confirmed that all internal wiring from extension go to the removeable faceplate and when router plugged directly into test socket all other sockets are dead.

Double checked stats and again no difference when connected to faceplate and LA stays at 57db. Sticks at 3776kbps though doesnt seem to change at all (usually when connected to master it will go up by 200-400kbps)

Took some photo's though and had a look behind socket etc to see whats hooked up and whats not. I have a basic understanding so know what im looking for but want someone to confirm this for me.

Firstly here is outside pic showing where the cabling comes in

Directly inside of this is what i believe to be master socket (only doubt is other side of room is similar socket with faceplate)

Assuming this is the master socket i took it apart to check it out and found a Blue and White wire connected to the back of the socket, from within a black lead that runs from outside.

I then removed the gray cover from outside to reveal the black lead running into house but also another surprise in that the upstairs socket in the spare room seems not to run internally but from outside. The wire is then spliced into the main BT incoming wire

As you can see here the green and brown wires (from spare room) are connected to the green and brown wires of the BT black lead. This goes into socket and then the green and brown wires are then plugged into the faceplate extensions 2 and 5.

Why they didnt just run the lead into house and into 2 and 5 on faceplate i dont know, by splicing into the BT lead it seems a bit OTT. Not saying this is cause of problems but seems strange.

A question to those who may know - the white and blue wires from the main BT lead are obviously the main ones but what are the brown and green for? as they have been cut to make way for the extension socket.

Now this has obviously always been like this but wondered if the wires cut may be used at all by LLU or something that could explain why the speeds dropped when i went to sky? long shot but thought id ask

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It could very well be the source of your problem, but if it is wired directly to the outside box I don't see how the socket it serves can be 'dead' when the faceplate is removed. Can you re-check that it is dead with the faceplate removed?

The fact that only the blue wires are connected is not a problem.

Edit I have just re-read and see it differently. The wires to you upstairs phone are actually coming from the master socket. so it should be OK.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

You said you have another NTE5 socket on the other side of the room, is this coming off the master socket faceplate and also how is this secondary socket wired - to its A & B terminals at the rear or to its own faceplate?

Without reading through the entire thread again, did you say that you've already disconnected the ring wire?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah the wires from upstairs are connected to the brown and green wires than run in the black BT line.

But they dont connect to the rear of the master socket - they connect to the faceplate on terminals 2 and 5 like normal internal extensions.

But obviously to do this the green and brown wires that normally run into the master socket (albeit not connected it seems normally) are cut.

Just wondering if the brown and green wires do anything? Clearly the solid blue and solid white wires are ones meant to connect to back of master socket and are the main wires but as there are loads of colours i assume they all have some use?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...e%20Wiring.htm

looking at that there - the orange and white wires are equivalent of my Blue and White. And they connect to A and B it seems. Which would indicate only 2 of the BT wires are "live" as such.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
      You said you have another NTE5 socket on the other side of the room, is this coming off the master socket faceplate and also how is this secondary socket wired - to its A & B terminals at the rear or to its own faceplate?

Without reading through the entire thread again, did you say that you've already disconnected the ring wire?
      The 2nd socket (non master) is connected in terminals 2 and 5 on the faceplate on its socket.

Yes only connections on the master socket faceplate are in 2 and 5.

Thanks

Thats OK then.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Edited
      Last edited by jimmyca69; 05-10-09 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks

In excess of 200, free if there's an actual fault.

Thanks

It's a little difficult to see from your picture of the cable but are the green and brown wires entering the wall at that point or further up where the main black cable enters. Could you pull back a bit and post the whole of the main cable.

What is the grey cable running outside, is this feeding your upstairs extension?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast