Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tackling some low speeds.....

This is a discussion on Tackling some low speeds..... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Would our street, or area as such (i.e. surrounding houses) have 1 sort of BT switch type connection at some ...

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Tackling some low speeds.....

Would our street, or area as such (i.e. surrounding houses) have 1 sort of BT switch type connection at some point,
      There would normally be a cabinet to which all the connections in a street are gathered, before they go into the main duct back to the exchange. If your supply is overhead, the cabinet could be a long way from your house.

It is possible BT have re-routed your line, giving it a longer distance back to the exchange.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      jimmyca69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      I'm on the same boat as yourself regarding confusion on line lengths.

Line Attenuation 56 db 31 db

Distance:- Direct: 2.84 km
      (appx)* By Road: 4.51 km

Using the same tool CST told you that you are 6.5km away with, I am apparently 12000 metres from my exchange. BTO won't even touch it either.
      Strange as they usually use the line attenuation for the line length - and at 56db yours should be giving less than mine does i.e. less than 6500m.

Definately something up there!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There would normally be a cabinet to which all the connections in a street are gathered, before they go into the main duct back to the exchange. If your supply is overhead, the cabinet could be a long way from your house.

It is possible BT have re-routed your line, giving it a longer distance back to the exchange.
      Thats something worth considering - problem is how do i get BT to look at this as immediately they will say its not there problem its Sky's.

When you are transferred from normal ADSL to LLU is anything changed in the local cabinet as standard procedure?

To quote a BT engineer on another site
      It may be that the engineer swapped out your line onto another "E" side pair from the exchange to the cabinet and this is a higher attenuation pair. Not all lines from the exhange to a green cabinet are equal
      We dont have any Openreach engineers on here do we?

Thanks

problem is how do i get BT to look at this as immediately they will say its not there problem its Sky's.
      You are right there, all BTO are interested in is if the voice line is OK.

We do have BTO engineers on the forum, Brian in particular could maybe add a comment.

When you are transferred from normal ADSL to LLU is anything changed in the local cabinet as standard procedure?
      Sky have their own exchange equipment, unless you were on Connect you will have been using this from the start. Nothing is changed in the cabinet.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You are right there, all BTO are interested in is if the voice line is OK.

We do have BTO engineers on the forum, Brian in particular could maybe add a comment.

Sky have their own exchange equipment, unless you were on Connect you will have been using this from the start. Nothing is changed in the cabinet.
      Would be excellent to gain an understanding of what the problem could be from an BTO engineer. It may very well be they have re-routed my line so be good to know what may have caused it from an enginner perspective.

No was on Entanet ADSL and was then transferred to Sky LLU - thats the only point i can specify when the change in speed/sync happened.

Thanks

Is your neighbour also with Sky? If so it could be the Sky equipment in the exchange that is faulty.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Is your neighbour also with Sky? If so it could be the Sky equipment in the exchange that is faulty.
      Yes they are

Forgot to also ask - whats the username of Brian? I may try and email him to see if there is any advice he can kindly offer

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just to add to this - i found my old DG834G Router so d/c sky one and setup my old one.

As soon as this was connected and i inputted the sky username and password i was syncing closer to 4000kbps and line attenuation is now 57db. Not as good as before but slight improvement.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

The best thing to do while you waite for the new router is to check out your internal set-up. Have a read of the Cable and Faceplate section. it is possible that you have a fault which has caused your attenuation to rise. In particular, check that when you use the test socket all other sockets are dead.
      An increase in line attenuation can be caused by a faulty tie pair in the exchange, but not often, in any case it would require the intervention of Sky to allow Openreach to test Sky's kit. I hope it is the router.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      The best thing to do while you waite for the new router is to check out your internal set-up. Have a read of the Cable and Faceplate section. it is possible that you have a fault which has caused your attenuation to rise. In particular, check that when you use the test socket all other sockets are dead.
      An increase in line attenuation can be caused by a faulty tie pair in the exchange, but not often, in any case it would require the intervention of Sky to allow Openreach to test Sky's kit. I hope it is the router.
      Thanks Brian

When you say to check all other sockets are dead do you mean to check all the other sockets with phones in (or not) get no ringtone whilst router plugged directly into test socket?

Using my old Netgear DG834Gv2 that i found in attic it did bring attenuation down but only to 57db now so not sure whether the new sky router will make that much difference. I will check internal wiring again though and see whats what using link above.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast