Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tackling some low speeds.....

This is a discussion on Tackling some low speeds..... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by neilmcl His stats does show he's on G.DMT. Have you tried removing your ring wire: Open up ...

jimmyca69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Tackling some low speeds.....

Quote Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
      His stats does show he's on G.DMT.

Have you tried removing your ring wire: Open up the master socket and remove an wires connected to terminal 3 on the faceplate.
      Yeah i believe so, i removed the wires from 3 and 6 a while ago leaving just 2 and 5 in there

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyca69 View Post
      Yeah i believe so, i removed the wires from 3 and 6 a while ago leaving just 2 and 5 in there
      You have got a very good connection for your attenuation, not many lines that long will give a speed that high.
      You are doing very well indeed.
      Connected at 17Mbps on sky unlimited

Test Socket - TCPOptimiser - Kana Form

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy17 View Post
      You have got a very good connection for your attenuation, not many lines that long will give a speed that high.
      You are doing very well indeed.
      Yep so im told

Thing is if previous ISP's were able at ADSL1 to give me connection at 6000kbps and lower line attenuation then why cant Sky?

Thinking outside the box, without looking at what my stats "should" give me, given that previous ip's gave me better stats where should i be looking for whats wrong?

Router? Line fault?

Im not saying this is the case but just for ideas as it doesnt make sense to me as i was always told that LLU would be an improvement not worse?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just a quick update - rang Sky customer services to see what they could do, got some info from thinkbroadband regarding potential causes, i.e. router, faulty tie-pairs etc so armed with that rang them.

Spent about 20mins on tier 1 who tried to help but kept using the speed tests as an excuse and saying i was getting max but she then put me onto tier 2 i assume. Spent another 20 mins blurting all the info to the techy guy who to be fair was quite good and had a word with colleague to confirm that the speed tests they use, actually use the line attenuation on your line to work out the rough distance to exchange. He also said given my stats it would seem its about 6.5km of line away which he then looked into and came back saying that its not right.

So they sending me a new router and leads, to see if this solves it - then they ringing me friday to follow up if need be. Kind of hoping its not that simple to fix after putting up with current speeds for so long :|

Thanks for the help guys will keep you posted on outcome

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

A follow up to this is im still waiting on new kit - but was looking at moving to o2 as a mobile customer i can get cheaper BB. When i checked on their website my post code said it was fine but the phone number says o2 BB not available. I rang them and they said its because im 6.5km away. I checked and like a lot of companies they use the current line attenuation to calculate distances.

I know its only a guide but to show people what i mean about my distance to my exchange.....

I used kitz adsl line and exchange checker as a guide. This is info i get....

Exchange: Barry. BT Code: SWCFK
      Distance:- Direct: 2.15 km
      (appx)* By Road: 3.54 km
      Status
      ADSL enabled : May 14, 2003
      DSL Max enabled: January 5, 2006
      SDSL enabled : Enabled
      21CN due : (PSTN) No Info
      21CN WBC (Broadband) RFS date 31.03.10
      Broadband Access† Market 3

A big difference between the distances - using the BT guide of crow flies distance x 1.4 for an idea of cable line its 3.01km (2.15x1.4) but apparently its double that......

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

What does the Samknows website say? SamKnows Broadband - Availability - Broadband Availability Checker

Try the availabity checkers at Talk Talk or Orange, it may be the case that O2's information is wrong in which case go back to them.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
      What does the Samknows website say? SamKnows Broadband - Availability - Broadband Availability Checker

Try the availabity checkers at Talk Talk or Orange, it may be the case that O2's information is wrong in which case go back to them.
      This is info from the samknows site

BT ADSL broadband availability
      You are connected to the Barry telephone exchange.

ADSL is available in your area
      Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services
      According to BT Wholesale, your phone line should be able to support a 3Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max.

Standard ADSL RAG results
      You cannot receive 2Mbps ADSL
      You may be able to receive 1Mbps ADSL
      You can receive 512kbps ADSL
      You can receive 256kbps ADSL
      You are approximately 2.13km from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length will be longer!

However, there is another service on your phone line (e.g. ADSL, LLU, DACS, etc) that would prevent you from ordering a new ADSL connection.
      Problem is most checkers seem to just use current line attenuation which will always give the wrong info.

Spoke to my next door neighbours who are on Sky broadband - they sync at just over 4mbps and on checking their router are getting 60db line attenuation as well. Now 4mbps for 60db line attenuation would normally be wrong surely?

Its frustrating - i think only thing to confirm or deny line length is to get the RAT Openreach test of line length but not sure how to go about this.

I just wonder if moving supplier from Sky will change the line attenuation back to what it was, which would indicate the sky equipment at exchange may be faulty. I have requested my mac code so shall see what happens.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

i think only thing to confirm or deny line length is to get the RAT Openreach test of line length but not sure how to go about this.
      This used to be available to the public but now needs an engineers PIN. You would have to get a BTO engineer to test it for you. It is included in the 17070 options.

To be honest if your neighbour also has the same attenuation that suggests that it is correct or pretty close. 4 Mb on an attenuation of 60dbs, is not impossible, it depends on the quality of the line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      This used to be available to the public but now needs an engineers PIN. You would have to get a BTO engineer to test it for you. It is included in the 17070 options.

To be honest if your neighbour also has the same attenuation that suggests that it is correct or pretty close. 4 Mb on an attenuation of 60dbs, is not impossible, it depends on the quality of the line.
      Doesnt make sense to me - literally next door, a few feet away (technically further albeit about 2m) and getting higher speeds.

Im still not buying it, my previous ISP stats were consistent with a line attenuation of on average 45db. And this matches all the distances i have been given by above websites.

I was hoping to see a massive increase for the neighbours stats to show its something wrong with my line! but seems that this isnt the case so not going to be easy to sort i dont think.

Would our street, or area as such (i.e. surrounding houses) have 1 sort of BT switch type connection at some point, i.e. all the wiring from the neighbourhood/area goes into a switch type box at end of street etc which is then connected to exchange?

Excuse the poor description of what im on about just wondering if there is a possibility or a fault at this junction box/switch that may cause higher line attenuation for all lines connected to it?

thanks
      James (currently clutching at straws)

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyca69 View Post
      A follow up to this is im still waiting on new kit - but was looking at moving to o2 as a mobile customer i can get cheaper BB. When i checked on their website my post code said it was fine but the phone number says o2 BB not available. I rang them and they said its because im 6.5km away. I checked and like a lot of companies they use the current line attenuation to calculate distances.

I know its only a guide but to show people what i mean about my distance to my exchange.....

I used kitz adsl line and exchange checker as a guide. This is info i get....

Exchange: Barry. BT Code: SWCFK
      Distance:- Direct: 2.15 km
      (appx)* By Road: 3.54 km
      Status
      ADSL enabled : May 14, 2003
      DSL Max enabled: January 5, 2006
      SDSL enabled : Enabled
      21CN due : (PSTN) No Info
      21CN WBC (Broadband) RFS date 31.03.10
      Broadband Access† Market 3

A big difference between the distances - using the BT guide of crow flies distance x 1.4 for an idea of cable line its 3.01km (2.15x1.4) but apparently its double that......
      I'm on the same boat as yourself regarding confusion on line lengths.

Line Attenuation 56 db 31 db

Distance:- Direct: 2.84 km
      (appx)* By Road: 4.51 km

Using the same tool CST told you that you are 6.5km away with, I am apparently 12000 metres from my exchange. BTO won't even touch it either.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast