Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Poor Speed

This is a discussion on Poor Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; We have recently got the whole Sky package, TV, talk and connect but the Internet speeds have been really slow. ...

MartinNUFC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Poor Speed

We have recently got the whole Sky package, TV, talk and connect but the Internet speeds have been really slow. If we upgraded to Sky Max or unlimited would this help increase the speeds as it is now only useful for basic web browsing and you cannot game, download or watch clips online.

I have read some threads already regarding Connect and it seems that finding a new ISP looks to be the likely solution but we do not want to pay for the remainder of the contract as it is not performing as it should.

I have very basic knowledge of computers so can any help be simplified please.

2. Advertisement
      neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Poor Speed

How long since your broadband was activated, you may still be able to cancel without penalty, and even if you're too late I would suggest that Sky should let you out of the contract as I don't think any reasonable person could argue that Connect is fit for purpose.

Check if any LLU providers are at your local exchange - SamKnows Broadband - Availability - Broadband Availability Checker , if none then go for a provider where you won't have your service throttled as much, eg, ADSL24 or Plusnet.

MartinNUFC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Cheers I have looked on that site and there are a few different ISPs that I could choose. Does anyone have any recommendations on which to go for? I was previously with Talk Talk but that was dreadful as well. Looking for unlimited downloads and a good max download speed.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

MartinNUFC
      Hi first of all do you have any ISPs with LLU at your exchange click on the link SkyUser - Sky Broadband Availability and Exchange Checker and just follow the instruction

To ensure we provide a sustainable quality broadband service to our customers, we continuously monitor and efficiently manage the Sky Network as a whole. To do this, during peak times (from 5pm to 12am each day), we may slow down the speed that all Sky Broadband Connect customers can get on certain applications which we consider use up a lot of bandwidth (for example peer-to-peer and newsgroups) and which have a negative affect on other customers There are no restrictions in place for applications such as browsing, email, streaming, instant messaging and VOIP during peak times. We do not put restrictions on our network outside of peak times.
      The problem is the connect package is suppose to be Traffic Shaped from 5pm till Midnight But it is not it is being Throttled from 5pm till Midnight as many Connect Customers have posted on various threads
      Last edited by steve16751; 27-09-09 at 04:56 AM. Reason: more info