Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Not Sky, but a Broadband Problem!

This is a discussion on Not Sky, but a Broadband Problem! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys, We currently have an issue with our Plusnet service, and I'd like a second opinion! Their support guys ...

g0fhm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Downham Market - Non LLU
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited - migrated from Sky (dis)Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Not Sky, but a Broadband Problem!

Hi Guys,

We currently have an issue with our Plusnet service, and I'd like a second opinion!

Their support guys have been great so far, but arent really able to offer much help!

Wednesday, we lost connection at 10.00 and it came back at 14.00, and then it dropped at 16.00 till 20.00. This happened also where my other half works, on the same exchange, but a different ISP. Oh, and we are a "Market 1" exchange, no LLU.

The router was syncing at the usual 7616/448Kbps, but wouldnt connect. The diagnostic feature on the router was saying that ATM was down, during the "off" periods. I was told that they would send me a new router.

Unsatisfied with this, I dug out an old Speedtouch USB modem, and installed it. again, it was the same, with sync at the same speed, and it wouldnt connect. Looking in the "monitor" section, I note it was sending ATM cells, but none were being received, and loopback count was zero. I phoned them again, and spoke to a guy that seemed to know more than the last guy (I think I got re routed to India after holding for so long), who agreed it was an ATM problem, and they would launch the required tests. Surprise surprise, they found nothing wrong, and service was restored at 20.20.

However, our line IP profile is now 500Kbps!! Sync is still at 7616/488.

I immediately suspected ADSL2+, and mailed them to ask them to check this, and if required, to restore G.DMT (although we are less than a mile as the crow flies from the exchange, but who knows where the loop runs?).

I've had an email back, that owing to an "intermittent connection", which I "may have noticed" (youre not wrong there kiddo!), the line needs to reprofile itself, and find it's maximum profile, and in the meantime to do all the usual test socket stuff, yada yada.

Considering that before the outages, we had an IP profile of 6500Kbps and an actual of between 5000-6000Kbps, according to the BT Speedtester.

Attached is a screenshot of the BT Test.

What do you good people suggest? Sit tight and wait for things to rise? or get back on to Plus and make more noise, as something isnt right?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Cheers,

James
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Not Sky, but a Broadband Problem!-screenshot1.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Not Sky, but a Broadband Problem!

You're on a BT ADSL Max product so things like ADSL2+ do not apply. I would take Plusnet's advice and wait until you are reprofiled correctly.

figgyp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redruth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sounds like a problem at the exchange, may be worth getting your isp to get openreach out to check it.

Once when i was on Tiscali the internet went down, router wasdnt connecting to anything phoned tiscali and they didnt know what problem was. A few hours later they posted on their website that there was a fire at an exchange near me and it was affecting most people in my area!

But as yours is intermitent then it may be a bird nesting or something silly like that!

Thanks

Yeah,

I'm at the point of telling them to escalate it, and get BTO to look at it. Seems strange that my better halfs work went off at roughly the same times though, so more than likely some ham fisted BT Engineer has done something wrong somewhere!

Incidentally, on my way home from work at about 16.15, there were 2 BTO vans pulling out of the exchange, so they are obviously working (or not!) in there.

I'll sit tight and see what the weekend brings... I'll keep doing the BT Speed tests every 3 hours, and see if things begin to look up. If they dont, then I'll be back on to Plus Monday.

Ta!

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It can take time for your IP profile to readjust in some cases, but I'd imagine if it was going to rise it would have done so by now. You'll need your ISP to confirm your BRAs profile on their end and then get it logged to BTWholesale.

Thanks

Now, that is interesting.... I've just read up on kitz.co.uk about BRAs profiling, and BLIP technology, and the speed at which it SHOULD work :-)

Looks like my BRAs is probably stuck.... I'd best raise another ticket with PN, although I doubt BTW will do too much about it before Monday, as I suspect that they are 9-5 brigade!