Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sky Max Frustrations!!!

This is a discussion on Sky Max Frustrations!!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just to fill in the gaps, where an external demarcation point in fitted ( its called a XNTE) there is ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Max Frustrations!!!

Just to fill in the gaps, where an external demarcation point in fitted ( its called a XNTE) there is no master socket fitted. The function of the master is carried out by the XNTE and the responsiblity of Openreach ends at the customer terminals within it.
      The internal wiring will prob have been carried out by the builders, and all the internal sockets will be normal extension type. There is no internal test socket within the building. This makes fault tracing difficult for the average user, and very hard for ISP's leading to much confusion when they ask their customer to connect to the test socket and there is not one, so they advise there customer that they will contact Openreach on their behalf, only to be told there is an XNTE fitted. (all lines fitted with an XNTE are flaged as such, so Openreach know).

For the customer with a possible fault, the first step is to find the first socket connected to the XNTE, and dissconnect all wiring from it leaving just the line to the XNTE and see if the fault is still there.
      In this case I suspect the increase in line attenuation may be due to a poor connectiion at one of the sockets, at the OP has said he has looked at them and may have disturbed them.

2. Advertisement
      neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      The internal wiring will prob have been carried out by the builders, and all the internal sockets will be normal extension type. There is no internal test socket within the building.
      To be fair, that's perhaps what should be done, but until the OP confirms what type of sockets he has and how they'red wired we can only speculate. I agree, strictly speaking the first internal socket in this situation shouldn't be called a master socket, probably primary socket makes more sense.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
      To be fair, that's perhaps what should be done, but until the OP confirms what type of sockets he has and how they'red wired we can only speculate. I agree, strictly speaking the first internal socket in this situation shouldn't be called a master socket, probably primary socket makes more sense.
      You can all it whatever you wish, but the point is that they are all extension sockets, the XNTE performing the function that a NTE-5 would. Without looking at the connections there is no way of knowing which is the first socket after the XNTE.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Thanks

I'm aware of that, all I'm trying to clarify from the OP is whether all the other extensions in his house come of the first extension socket or are they daisy chained off each other.

Thanks

As it is going to be a new build, your guess is as good as mine (and I suspect his) The thing to do is try and find which is the first one, it is oftern not far from the XNTE.
      My own method of dealing with this sort of problem is to disconnect the wiring at the XNTE and connect a temp socket and see what the sync is like then with all the internal wiring disconnected.

Clawz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Stop fighting.... :P lol

The 'primary' socket, as we shall now call it is the first one as you come into the house. it has TWO sets of cables in the back, (which leads me to think its the 'primary') the other two sockets only have one wire so i assume they daisy chain from there.

Thanks

If you can, the best way to see if the internal wiring is causing you problems is,

(1) get a normal extension socket and a couple of metres of telephone cable, any hardware store should have these.

(2) at the XNTE, disconnect the wires from terminals 2 5 and 3. you do not need a tool for this, you just pull up the plastic cover.

(3) connect the socket to the XNTE terminals using the telephone wire. connect 2 to 2 and 5 to 5 you can leave off 3

(4) now connect your router to this socket and see what your stats are like. they should be much better and confirm the problem is with the internal wiring.

If they are better, you need to install at the first socket inside, your own NTE-5 master and a filter faceplate and if you cannot have the router at this position, an extension for it.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

the other two sockets only have one wire so i assume they daisy chain from there.
      If they only have one wire going in there must be a junction somewhere where the wires 'spider' out to the extensions. If they were 'daisy chained' you would only have one with one wire the other would have two.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Clawz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Right I called sky and they said i can only get 2mb on my line, they did a test seemed to come up with a fault, so now they are sending out an engineer to diagnose the problem and test all the sockets in the house. so score!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12