Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Bb speed off the face of a cliff!

This is a discussion on Bb speed off the face of a cliff! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; About 5 weeks ago I was geting a sync speed of 20249 or thereabouts, then it dropped to the 19480 ...

tscotsman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kingswells
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Bb speed off the face of a cliff!

About 5 weeks ago I was geting a sync speed of 20249 or thereabouts, then it dropped to the 19480 roughly mark, which was fine, still a fast connection. Anyway I get back from working in Saudi Arabia for a month and the connection is now, wait for it 1024 about 5% of what it was at its peak.

These are the settings I get from the router, bearing in mind the speed i was getting before and im only 100m from the exchange, practically outside the back garden.

Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1024 kbps 256 kbps
      Line Attenuation 7.0 db 7.0 db
      Noise Margin 33.0 db 13.0 db

Sky are saying that its not them and they havent capped it, im dubious to say the least, nothing regarding my setup has changed, never ever changes from 1024, tried master socket, unplugging my phone, different microfilter. so they have decided to try a new router , should be arriving tomorrow, but Im not convinced its gonna make any difference, just tried an old router i had lying around, got it to connect and got exactly the same speeds, so that almost certainly rules out the router, cant understand it.

Only thing I havent tried yet as i dont have a spare is the cable from the router to the microfilter, but cannot see it being that.

Any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Re: Bb speed off the face of a cliff!

You are capped to death

Your noise margin should be around the 7db mark, the fact that is so high means that you line is capped. How support didn;t see this is beyond me.

Ring Sky again and insist on speaking to CST, they will sort it in a few minutes. When you ring, tell them you are in the test socket and although you don't mind doing any tests etc they want you to do you want to speak to CST if this does not sort it.

Ring after 10:30pm for a better chance of speaking to them directly.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Your line has clearly been crippled by something. Who did you speak to at Sky, did you manage to get through to the CST team. I would try again, tell them there may have been a problem with your line whilst line training (DLM) was taking place which has incorrectly set you speed too low, your line seems to be OK now so could they get Customer Solutions to take a look at reconfiguring your connection speed. Give it a try after 10pm.

Thanks

turns out that sky accidentally on 1 of their systems cancelled the broadband. now i have wait for it to be reactivated, could take up to a month to do this, well ****** off, im away to saudi again in a month.

Thanks

If it was cancelled then why is it still connecting???

Thanks

because its still on the system for them aparently, it doesnt make sense but she said that ill not get charged anything for bb from the 27th August until its sorted, should think they should be giving me some compensation i.e free line rental or free hd mix for a few months, will definitely ask for something when it comes back on.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tscotsman View Post
      turns out that sky accidentally on 1 of their systems cancelled the broadband. now i have wait for it to be reactivated, could take up to a month to do this, well ****** off, im away to saudi again in a month.
      That's the strangest thing I've heard so far coming from Sky.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tscotsman View Post
      because its still on the system for them aparently, it doesnt make sense but she said that ill not get charged anything for bb from the 27th August until its sorted, should think they should be giving me some compensation i.e free line rental or free hd mix for a few months, will definitely ask for something when it comes back on.
      If it is still on the system then they must be able to adjust the line profile back to uncapped. This sounds like bullpoo to me, maybe IANTE can advise if this is what would happen if they cancelled you BB (he is in the know).

I remember a few others over the years being cancelled, their service just stopped and they couldnt even log onto the Sky system.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

When you left for S.Ar how long were you connected at 19/20Mb? I am thinking you may have switched the router off during DLM training and it has thrown a fit. If I were you I would try to get through to the CST and see what they can do. As mentioned if your broadband was cancelled you would not have a connection at all, or at most a training speed.

Your very large noise margin shows that your line is capped, it should not be difficult to remove the cap.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

So, at the moment with the router connected are you getting an internet light now? (The 'i' symbol on the phase 1 netgear). Unless you've had some kind of unsolicited line cease, then I can't imagine how sky could have cancelled the bb 'accidentally'? If your landline is still functioning and you still are training in with a downstream/upstream on the router settings page, I'd advise contacting sky again.