Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Could connect be the worst broadband ever?

This is a discussion on Could connect be the worst broadband ever? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The problem I am facing is as follows: I understand the fair usage policy, why its there and what it ...

disgruntled user is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Could connect be the worst broadband ever?

The problem I am facing is as follows:

I understand the fair usage policy, why its there and what it should be affecting.

What I dont get is why after 5pm on the dot, my web browser wont even load basic html pages without a fight...until well after midnight.

I work 9-5, so by the time I get in from work, the internet is in the FUP time, and im usually in bed before midnight when normal service resumes. I may aswell not have broadband at all.

Why isn't the fair usage policy port restricted to allow traffic through port 80?

I was with tiscali for many years, and although their customer service was pathetic, their fair usage policy meant torrent/p2p speeds were slow between 6 and 11...but everything else worked fine...even youtube in HD would work.

I can forget youtube and playstation network completely between these hours on sky (PSN wont even connect...it just times out)

I cant for the life of me understand why the so called fair usage policy is totally crippling my internet to the point where sites such as ebay or one of the many forums I visit wont load sucessfully until after midnight.

What good is that to anybody?

Have looked at cable, skymax and other LLU options using the exchange checker on this site but nothing is available. My router is connected directly to the bt socket so its not an extension issue, actually its not an issue at all because its 5pm every single night...as well as all weekend...the only times im going to use it!

Its a nightmare! so what im looking for is a workaround the FUP. Does anything exist?...im not bothered about slow torrents/p2p whatever, i just want my regular browsing capabilities back!

2. Advertisement
      figgyp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redruth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Could connect be the worst broadband ever?

I had exactly the same problems, I simple asked for my mac code and switched providers!
      if your in your 12 month contract like I was simply say that they are in breach of their contract
      as they are not meant to put restrictions on web browsing, emails, streaming and voip, when they clearly do!

See the sticky on connect in broadband help on this site to get a better picture!

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

disgruntled user
      Hi I am sorry but thats the Connect Package as figgyp say`s same problem it is hard to believe but the problem has been going on since October Sky are over subscribing the connect package making it almost unusable wish I had an answer majority leave if you put your exchange in a post will be able to try and give some information

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I cant for the life of me understand why the so called fair usage policy is totally crippling my internet to the point where sites such as ebay or one of the many forums I visit wont load sucessfully until after midnight.
      The problem is it is not a FUP that is restricting you, it is connection throttling, pure and simple. It may seem poor advice but the only way round it is to leave and go to someone like Plusnet or ADSL24 who are upfront and apply their usage policies properly.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

rfc5stars is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I get Sky connect for free and today i recieved my O2 router , i cant wait to be shot of it , Sky Connect used be a great service but now its a waste of time unless i want to do something at 20 past midnight or before i go to work in the morning. I cant think of anything more embarassing than someone who gets something for free prefering to pay a different providerfor a hald decent service. Sad Times

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is sad when even Sky employees are forced to go to another provider.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.